boost gauge help - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
boost gauge help
Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:33 PM
first let me say, i have a boost controller and its set low so it doesn't create boost. i'm not tunned yet so i don't need boost.

i was driving to work and noticed my gauge read -7 at idle at when i get on the gas pedal. it goes passed 0 and up to 20, with no boost, i hear the turbo spool. but again no boost. i need help to know if my gauge is broke or if something is wrong? i don't believe its supposed to do that. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: boost gauge help
Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:53 PM
How do you know that you are not making boost? Are your running a mechanical or electric boost gauge?

Sunday, August 19, 2012 10:56 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:How do you know that you are not making boost? Are your running a mechanical or electric boost gauge?

because i dont feel the difference the boost is supposed to make, and i also had a friend of mine that had a boosted car drive mine and he also said it wasnt boosting... and its a electric digital gauge from glowshift
Monday, August 20, 2012 6:31 AM
check your charge pipes, if its reading boost and you hear it and dont feel it, its gotta be going somewhere?
Monday, August 20, 2012 9:50 AM
1st check to make sure that the wire(s) for the gauge are fine. If they are, then you are making boost. Healthy/new boost gauges do not randomly read 20psi of boost. Without a proper tune you wont feel that much improvement. You need to stop where you are and start educating yourself on turbocharging a vehicle before you go any farther.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:10 AM
Where is the boost gauge hooked up to? If its in the wrong spot it could be picking up pressure from something else.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:48 AM
DSMskyline wrote:Where is the boost gauge hooked up to? If its in the wrong spot it could be picking up pressure from something else.

its hooked to the port on the intake manifold, and a T fitting going to the bov
Monday, August 20, 2012 11:07 AM
what spring is in your gate? a boost controller CANNOT turn the psi to 0. It will only go as low as the spring in the gate. Im gonna put money on you building boost. Is your BOV going off?
Monday, August 20, 2012 12:15 PM
Im going with masssssssssive boost leak, or just not understanding your setup. Like said, unless the spring in your wastegate is a 0 lb spring, which I have never heard of, you will build boost up to poundage of your spring. If all is well and there is not leak, then you would feel atleast SOME difference on a non tuned car. Also you should be hearing your BOV go off, unless it is not set up right aswell.

But like Tink said, I would stop where you are and start reading. I would start by buying and reading this book.....Maximum Boost

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:44 PM
russ weisgarber wrote:what spring is in your gate? a boost controller CANNOT turn the psi to 0. It will only go as low as the spring in the gate. Im gonna put money on you building boost. Is your BOV going off?

Its an internal wastegate, so I don't know off the top of my head. I would have to look when I get home.. and yes I hear the bov going off.
Monday, August 20, 2012 1:57 PM
BOV = Blow.Off.Valve... it is put in place to relieve the pressure that is created in the pipes under load.

Therefore if it is venting then it is pressurizing.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:05 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:BOV = Blow.Off.Valve... it is put in place to relieve the pressure that is created in the pipes under load.

-Chris-

I do know what bov means, but thanks anyways for thinking I'm stupid
Monday, August 20, 2012 2:16 PM
sman wrote:
SweetnessGT wrote:BOV = Blow.Off.Valve... it is put in place to relieve the pressure that is created in the pipes under load.

-Chris-

Thinking? You are proving it on your own. You need to stop, pick up a book(Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" is a very good choice), and educate yourself.

The verdict:
You ARE making boost. 20psi i would say. It feels really weak, because it isnt properly tuned. Also because it isnt properly tuned you are a few pulls away from blowing your engine.

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:32 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
sman wrote:

-Chris-

Thinking? You are proving it on your own. You need to stop, pick up a book(Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" is a very good choice), and educate yourself.

The verdict:
You ARE making boost. 20psi i would say. It feels really weak, because it isnt properly tuned. Also because it isnt properly tuned you are a few pulls away from blowing your engine.

There is no way its boosting 20 psi. I have a coupler on that will only hold 3psi then it will rip.. and its hasn't done that yet. And I know what the coupler will hold cuz I call rd fabs and was told. I have a new coupler coming. But until then it stays on.
Monday, August 20, 2012 3:21 PM
sman wrote:
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:
sman wrote:

-Chris-

The verdict:

There is no way its boosting 20 psi. I have a coupler on that will only hold 3psi then it will rip.. and its hasn't done that yet. And I know what the coupler will hold cuz I call rd fabs and was told. I have a new coupler coming. But until then it stays on.

my mind is blown....im checking out of this thread.

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:25 PM
Since you mentioned RD Fabs, I suggest you hand the car over to Ryan and let him take care of it and get it straightened out.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:30 PM
Ditch the boost controller, and run whatever your waste gate is set at. My guess is nothing more than 12psi since it's internal.
Then do some reading.
Then learn how to tune/get it tuned.

By then you'll be knowledgeable enough to know that is the blow off valve is "blowing off", then you are in fact making boost. Whatever that psi number is... who know's because your electric boost gauge is probably broken or wired wrong. Ditch that also and run a mechanical one. Faster response, especially over glowshift ( I run glowshift, but I know the pitfalls of cheaper gauges) A glowshift mechanical gauge and you will be sure of the boost you're getting.

After you have that setup properly tuned, then I would say It may be safe to use a boost controller. More so if you learn how to use HP tuners (really not that hard if you take your time)
And for peet sake get a wide band (assuming you don't have one)

P.s. I've never heard of a coupler only handling 3psi... unless its paper or something.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Monday, August 20, 2012 10:44 PM
Eric Knight wrote:Ditch the boost controller, and run whatever your waste gate is set at. My guess is nothing more than 12psi since it's internal.
Then do some reading.
Then learn how to tune/get it tuned.

By then you'll be knowledgeable enough to know that is the blow off valve is "blowing off", then you are in fact making boost. Whatever that psi number is... who know's because your electric boost gauge is probably broken or wired wrong. Ditch that also and run a mechanical one. Faster response, especially over glowshift ( I run glowshift, but I know the pitfalls of cheaper gauges) A glowshift mechanical gauge and you will be sure of the boost you're getting.

After you have that setup properly tuned, then I would say It may be safe to use a boost controller. More so if you learn how to use HP tuners (really not that hard if you take your time)
And for peet sake get a wide band (assuming you don't have one)

P.s. I've never heard of a coupler only handling 3psi... unless its paper or something.

I really wish ppl would stop saying and thinking i dont know what im doing... i do, i bulit my own motor. i know if the bov is blowing off that its producing boost.. i just dont know how much cuz the gauge isnt really telling me... no the gauge is not wired wrong. and im going to efi alchemy for a tune in a few... i know how a turbo works... i dont need ppl telling me things i already know. im not stupid.. im actully about to hopefully have a job at a performace shop.. but im human, and every now and then i need some help/suggestions just like everyone else.... i but this post up to get help as to why my gauge is doing this. not for ppl to tell me bov= blow off valve.. and @!#$ i already know

and the coupler, ryan from rd fabs said the one i have was not meant of boost, just all motor. thats why it wont hold more then 3psi
Monday, August 20, 2012 10:46 PM
but i do want to thank the ppl that are actually helping me.. like the one who asked where i hooked the gauge up to see if it might be reading pressure from somewhere else.. to yall, thank you.. thats the help im looking for
Monday, August 20, 2012 10:49 PM
You havent done anything in this thread to make us think that you are not stupid.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:59 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:You havent done anything in this thread to make us think that you are not stupid.

whatever man, ive answered all questions ppl have asked and using the right terms and describing what is happening.. and in the right way

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:47 PM
But you turned your boost controller down so it wouldnt boost(which it doesnt work that way) and even thou your gauge is reading boost, you can hear the turbo spool, and the BOV go off you are convinced that you are not making boost. Just because someone owned a boosted car doesnt mean that they know what they are doing, just look at Cobalt owners.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:50 AM
Check your electrical gauge against a mechanical gauge
problem solved.

.unsubscribed

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:27 PM
Even shifting early and keeping turbo under spool reads 10-20
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:55 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:But you turned your boost controller down so it wouldnt boost(which it doesnt work that way) and even thou your gauge is reading boost, you can hear the turbo spool, and the BOV go off you are convinced that you are not making boost. Just because someone owned a boosted car doesnt mean that they know what they are doing, just look at Cobalt owners.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search