Ecotec connecting rod - Eagle or Carillo or other? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec connecting rod - Eagle or Carillo or other?
Friday, August 17, 2012 7:14 PM
I know for most people Eagles are fine, but as quite a few know, i am not "most people".

Intents:
~400whp with the Harrop and 500whp+ with the Harrop and a good shot of nitrous.
The nitrous would only be for dyno days and the occasional 1/4 mile track run.

My thoughts:
I believe Eagles are only rated to around 500hp. I forget where i saw this, so i might be wrong.
Carillos are good to what? 800hp?
If i am right with the Eagles, using nitrous to push them past their rated power level just seems like a time bomb.

Any thoughts? Any other options that'll work?

Re: Ecotec connecting rod - Eagle or Carillo or other?
Friday, August 17, 2012 7:57 PM
If everything is replaced, the weak point of the engine would be the factory crank. I believe it was rated to 550 crank horsepower or so.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:37 PM
The build book lists the crank upgrade at 500hp. Getting a better one probably isnt going to be easy.

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:00 PM
Yeah since the eagle crank was discontinued. Finding one will be hard and expect to pay through the nose if u do come across one.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:33 AM
Eagle H-beams are good to 900hp. Your weak areas at the power you are looking to consistently achieve (500hp) will be crank and sleeves. Mostly would worry about the sleeves. I have been running the H-beams for years with zero issues. 400hp I wouldn't worry about the sleeves or the crank but tossing nitrous into the mix can dramatically increase peak cylinder pressures and this is where the tops of your sleeves might say enough is enough.

H-Beam HP rating

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:26 PM
Well i'll be a monkey's uncle. So Eagles will be fine. I have already been looking into strengthening the cylinder liners. For the crank. IDK.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:36 PM
are you replacing just rods or both rods and pistons ???

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:15 PM
Both.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:21 PM
I honestly don't know that I would worry about the crank. The sleeves can be resolved with Darton sleeves. The problem is finding a machine shop that does it correctly otherwise the sleeves Darton makes can move around and that equals no bueno.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:29 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Both.

well depending on your budget i myself wanted to go outside the box and got crower rods and custom CP pistons...love them both

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:16 AM
i sold a eagle crank not too long ago ill look and see who i sold it to and pm you who it was so you can ask them if they are gonna use it. i went with Pauter rods but also have a set of ZZP rods that are gonna go into my back up motor mine are for LSJ so not much help there

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:13 AM
Im in no way douting Eagle what so ever just putting this here becauae you (Tink) said you forgot where you saw about the rods for the HP.. I think I found it for ya.. Look on page 32 and read rite under the pic of the rods.You mite have to scroll up.. Eagles will be fine I think but its up to you tho bro.. Cant wait till you hit the goals your looking for.. Also im sorry if this has been posted before!!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/77294037/24/CRANKSHAFT
Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:15 AM
Sorry for the double post but scroll down just a hair on the link...
Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:44 PM
im pretty sure pj just put his L61 eagle crank up for sale here a few weeks back... id talk to him man.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, August 20, 2012 8:23 AM
^^^ Yup.. It was also on FB on the Cavy parts for sale.. He was asking $300 plus shipping and he never used it.. Pretty good deal if you ask me..
Monday, August 20, 2012 9:00 AM
I would sleeve it because of the nitrous. I would also get PJs crank if he still has it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, August 20, 2012 9:50 AM
Id say a ZZP girdle, but they were less than stellar with Fetter and I wouldnt go to them for even an oil change.... Word is Bates has even messed up the sleeve install of Bates sleeves.... Its tough to find a shop that could do it and do it right and regardless it will be expensive.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:07 AM
I heard that M2Race does Dartons on Ecos, but how well is the question. Nice thing is that is it just a day trip for me to stop in there. I'll also talk to PJ.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:07 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Id say a ZZP girdle, but they were less than stellar with Fetter and I wouldnt go to them for even an oil change.... Word is Bates has even messed up the sleeve install of Bates sleeves.... Its tough to find a shop that could do it and do it right and regardless it will be expensive.

i didnt have any problems thru ZZP on the girdle they are really picky about the core that is the only thing

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:18 PM
If you cant find a eagle crank, I would do a lsj forged crank and some zzp or pauter rods. I found a different place that does the block gaurd aka zzp girdle and is a place that someone answers your phone call and talks to you. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3042021 http://www.cylindersupportsystem.com/ only thing is need 5 people to get it done since hes never done one before and to cover the setup cost and time.

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:26 PM
Fetter, if nothing unexpected comes up i'll be picking up PJ's Eagle crank. Also, i was looking at that and i would be willing to send in a Gen 1 block or 2.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:01 PM
sorry for slight off topic but i would be in to get another block done so i can have a backup engine

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:14 PM
darton sleeved blocks supposedly have overheating issues due to not enough flow for the cooling system

or, the sleeves are so thick that the coolant does not cool them enough.. I remember skunk having this issue on his car.

on the rod issue: if it were up to me, and the money was no question, carillo is who I'd go with hands down.

the build book refers to carillo several times on their high-power builds. eagle makes good rods, but if you want to build an engine to support 500hp without any problem, over building it is the only choice.
if the extra cost doesn't scare you, go with carillo 100%.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:11 PM
IMO I run Eagle and never had any issues.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:10 PM
we ran eagle's in aarons car.

mike

i make neons and j-bodys go fast

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search