Misaligned belt, squeal FML..... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Misaligned belt, squeal FML.....
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:44 PM
So a couple weekends ago I blew my belt on my supercharged eco cav. Luckily I still had a couple ribs left and was able to limp home and changed the belt.

I drove it last week and put about 300km on it, and then drove to my parents about 500km away. The next day I noticed I was getting a squeal from my belt when the car was cold and had been sitting overnight. The noise went away after everything got warmed up and ran just fine with no noise.

Now this week I decided to check out the noise a little more since I thought maybe my alt was giving up on me. I pulled the belt off and checked all the pulleys to make sure there is no side to side movement or squeaks when I move them. Everything sounds/feels just fine. Unfortunately I cant check it when its making the noise since I leave for work at like 5am. But will be checking them first thing sat morn to see if anything makes noise when its cold from over night.

One thing I did notice that I screwed up on was I had accidentally put the belt on the outside rib of the idler pulley and it was that way up until this week so about 1700km. When I changed it back to having the belt on the inside of all the pulleys nothing changed.

Fast forward to today I noticed that my supercharger pulley and tensioner pulley do not line up very well. I have no clue if this is normal, was always like this or it somehow moved? I cant see how it moved since the blower is 100% stock and the pulley has never been touched.

This is a pic of the pulley lined up with the tensioner all on the inside ribs

This is a pic of how I have it now on the outside rib on the charger but inside on everything else.

Lines up much nicer. Not sure if it matters or not or whats going on. Could the belt blowing somehow push the pulley on the blower further??!

Or could it have been the one mis aligned pulley thats kinda messed the belt up?

Im going to try the old soap trick i think in the morn if its making noise. Any tips, tricks, insight would be appreciated.

Re: Misaligned belt, squeal FML.....
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:58 PM
misalignment will cause noise. ask me how i know. see if it makes noise this way and let us know

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:25 AM
You need to remove and realign the charger pulley. This is actually a common problem that isn't ever really brought up. This can happen on M45s and M62s.

I now someone can explain this better than I can.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:07 AM
Philly D wrote:Could the belt blowing somehow push the pulley on the blower further??!

I think that's exactly what happened.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:23 AM
am i missing something? why is the belt on the blower pulley smooth side down?

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:26 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:am i missing something? why is the belt on the blower pulley smooth side down?

It's a double ribbed belt, aka ribbed on both sides. I thought the same thing when I saw one for the first time.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:44 AM
Well I started it up this morn and no noise and back to normal.

So that bandaid fixed the problem for the time being.

I'm going to order a new pulley and pulley puller and when I put the hub on there I'll get it straight
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:11 AM
Y3llowCav (aka Ryan Pitt) wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:am i missing something? why is the belt on the blower pulley smooth side down?

It's a double ribbed belt, aka ribbed on both sides. I thought the same thing when I saw one for the first time.

double ribbed?! never hearda sucha thing lol

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:21 AM
Double ribbed for her pleasure!
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:02 PM
Mr Newb wrote:Double ribbed for her pleasure!

And his!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:01 PM
bahaahahahahahaha

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:06 AM
The double ribbed design is actually pretty common on the VR6 Jetta and golfs as well.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search