Ram air intake question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ram air intake question
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:52 AM
Ok so i'm really wanting to do the L67 3800 engine swap into my 96' Pontiac Sunfire, and i was curious how a ram air induction system works? i would like to get a functional ram air intake hood, but the question is what would I require to use the hood? a custom air intake box? or does it connect straight onto the air intake manifold?

Re: Ram air intake question
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:01 PM
Ram air on a supercharged engine, seems pretty pointless. You would never go fast enough for it to really work. Now you would benefit from a true cold air intake on that engine since it does not have an intercooler in the intake manifold.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:27 PM
iIf I have the engine done right I hope to have it pushing over 360HP and over 300ft IB torque, the ram air should suffice for it. i hope to make the car capable of 150-160mph, the car is light enough for the engine to propel it at fast speeds. i also like the Ram air intake on the 1994-1995 Pontiac Sunfire roadster concept which is what got me hooked on the hoods for it. it was also supercharged with the ram air intake system.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:04 PM
I can take a stock LD9 or L61 and make it go 150mph.

Question is in what track form are you talking about?

If your doing this motor swap you should be more worried about getting it in and running properly before worrying about a ram air hood/intake system.

Also whoever is doing this swap for your should be able to figure out how to make a ram air hood work, but the motor is going to need to be in the car before you can really figure it out.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:11 PM
Taylor Latham wrote:iIf I have the engine done right I hope to have it pushing over 360HP and over 300ft IB torque, the ram air should suffice for it. i hope to make the car capable of 150-160mph, the car is light enough for the engine to propel it at fast speeds. i also like the Ram air intake on the 1994-1995 Pontiac Sunfire roadster concept which is what got me hooked on the hoods for it. it was also supercharged with the ram air intake system.

I suggest you start looking at more productive things than ram air intakes if you want to keep that engine together at those power levels. Intercoolers, cams, meth kits would be a start. My friend made more power than that on an L67 with a cone filter straight on the throttle body.

Plus with hood clearance I doubt youre going to be able to get a ram air box above the SC.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:07 AM
As Slowzee said I dont think you'll benefit much at all from ram air on a forced induction engine. Maybe if you had it forcing air into a top mount intercooler or something to that nature like on the MS3's, but ram air is good for N/A set ups like trans ams and Camaros. How many ram air applications do you see on supercharged/boosted vettes, supras, etc. The air at that point is used to cool components, not be tossed into the motor. Ram air always looks really cool though. Now if you could make it like the Invader hood Ive got to where you're using ventilation through the hood to extract engine compartment heat, thats an idea. Ive noticed a HUUUUGE difference in the amount of heat in my engine bay when I open my hood after a good run since installing the Invader hood..huge. Thats your benefit to a custom hood setup while still making it actually functional.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:20 AM
well this isn't for track it will mainly be for cruising/pleasure driving. but i would still like it to be fast. @ Brian so your saying a stock L67 series II 3800 engine will push over 360HP with a cone filter??
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:04 PM
Basically you wont get enough air threw with "ram air" to make it functional. The S/C is going to pull even more air threw the intake than a N/A engine. All it will be is a low restriction intake(depending on how you route it and what size tubing you run.

Now onto the flaming. 160mph is completely unnecessary, useless, and dangerous on a street car. Even with everything that is done to mine, i still have it limited to 140mph and have NEVER taken it that fast.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:37 PM
Yeah ive barely hit 130 a few times and wont run it past that without a track. Thats on an open back road where Im the only one who can die if I wreck lol.

Like I said, id design a functional hood thats made to draw out the heat from the supercharger...mine works great and I wouldnt go back if I could ever help it...a cooler engine is a very happy engine!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:40 PM
160 in a j-body. Bahahahaha!

It would probably fall in half.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search