Water cooling turbo input - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Water cooling turbo input
Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:51 PM
I was curious as to how you guys had the plumbing set up for a water cooled turbo. I have a top mount on the ld9. Input is appreciated!

Re: Water cooling turbo input
Monday, January 21, 2013 8:48 AM
tap into the heater core lines

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Monday, January 21, 2013 10:20 AM
I make water tees for this...

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:42 AM
As said, tap into heater hoses.

I got rid of mine, so I just tapped into the thermostat housing.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, January 21, 2013 7:10 PM
Thanks guys, kind of what I was planning on, just like getting different angles. The turbo that was on the car when I got it was supposed to be dual cooled, but was only setup for oil and caused premature failure.. all is well it is getting rebuilt now.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:08 PM
Just tossing this out there, I've been running my (used) GT3076R for 3 years now (daily driven, raced), oil only (except for a month or so with coolant), with no ill effects. Shaft play still perfect, spins for a minute and a half after I turn the car off still.

Not to say it's smart to do, but I'm not too worried about mine. When it goes it goes, time to upgrade.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:13 PM
most people will want to run the water, because it will cool the turbo after the car is turned off, and not have to run a turbo timer. Also why not run coolant if it has the input for it??

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:23 PM
jason norwood wrote:most people will want to run the water, because it will cool the turbo after the car is turned off, and not have to run a turbo timer. Also why not run coolant if it has the input for it??

Seeing as our water pumps are drive by the motor (timing chain, or cam), how is it going to cool the turbo when the car is shut off?

I have always seen oil cooled and I think it does the trick just fine.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:35 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
jason norwood wrote:most people will want to run the water, because it will cool the turbo after the car is turned off, and not have to run a turbo timer. Also why not run coolant if it has the input for it??

Seeing as our water pumps are drive by the motor (timing chain, or cam), how is it going to cool the turbo when the car is shut off?

Its because while you are driving its cooling it. Just for #'s lets say that driving oil only is at 200 degrees when you shut it off no turbo timer. Turbo timer on and it runs for a few minutes its cycling the oil through the system essentially cooling the oil to 150 degrees.

Flip side, car running oil and coolant cooling the turbo. Running at 150 degrees because the coolant is cooling the system as well as the oil cooling the system.

In the end they are both cooled. One leaves the car running (turbo timer) the other doesnt need to leave the car running since the coolant is cooling the turbo while you drive.

make sense?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:02 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

Its because while you are driving its cooling it. Just for #'s lets say that driving oil only is at 200 degrees when you shut it off no turbo timer. Turbo timer on and it runs for a few minutes its cycling the oil through the system essentially cooling the oil to 150 degrees.

Flip side, car running oil and coolant cooling the turbo. Running at 150 degrees because the coolant is cooling the system as well as the oil cooling the system.

In the end they are both cooled. One leaves the car running (turbo timer) the other doesnt need to leave the car running since the coolant is cooling the turbo while you drive.

make sense?

I actually remember reading an article something about when you shut your car off that the hot turbo will draw water through it if it sits at the right angle. Sort of like a hot air ballon---siphon hybrid.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Friday, March 01, 2013 8:58 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

make sense?

no? lol unless i missed it (you know me) you talked about cooling while driving. john asked how the coolant cools the turbo when the engine is off, not driving.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.

Friday, March 01, 2013 11:24 AM
it doesnt for the most part. which is why it does not need to stay running when you are done driving.it does enough cooling while you are driving to keep the turbo cool enough to not need to sit and run and circulate. We all know that sitting still on the interstate, temps go up because no airflow through the radiator. But driving they stay low and the thermostat opens and coolant circulates. Same concept here. You drive, coolant is cooler than if the car is sitting with it running or not.

Friday, March 01, 2013 11:37 AM
ah, understood. always wondered why some turbos required both for cooling....

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 8:12 PM
So with out all the other explainations, yes or no on this. I am getting a Garrett 3071R

Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:18 PM
I have never had an aftermarket turbo other then factory ones that had water cooling. My opinion is it has the port for a reason so why to use it. Its always good to try to keep the turbo as cool as possible so your engine coolant is probably 50-100* cooler then the oil since the turbo will heat the oil up. There has to be a reason why some turbo come with the port and without. If it wasn't needed then they wouldn't have it.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, March 03, 2013 2:24 AM
^ you can still run them without using the coolant ports. people do it all the time. they just have to let the vehicle run like a turbo timer is all.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:56 PM
I always thought that the oil lubed the bearings (ball bearings) and the water cooled the turbo essentially as long as there is enough lubrication then you should be good I mean hell my wastegates have a water cooling feature but I'm not gonna run it like that

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:06 PM
Makes sense...I think I am going to run a water set up on it, even with a turbo timer. Should hopefully keep the temps down. Lot of money in one piece of equipment to short hand its longevity in my eyes lol.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:49 AM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:I always thought that the oil lubed the bearings (ball bearings) and the water cooled the turbo essentially as long as there is enough lubrication then you should be good I mean hell my wastegates have a water cooling feature but I'm not gonna run it like that

The oil does both. lubes the bearings and cools the turbo. No turbo timer, you should let the car run to let the oil cool so it doesnt coke in the turbo. With the coolant lines you can shut it off right away.

Yes your wastegates can be water cooled. mine as well. Just keeps the heat down since it figures you plan on hitting the wastegate and LOTS of heat pushing out of them. I dont see the wastegates being as big of an issue as the turbo though.

There is no reason you cant run a turbo timer as well as coolant lines. The more the better. Id say if you do that... running 2 minutes is plenty. My turbo timer runs for 4 or 5 minutes. I cant remember. But I am oil cooled only.

Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:45 AM
I plan on running both. And my turbo timer will adjust the time automatically. If its been running hard, it stays on longer.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 7:17 AM
Ok, so I am about a month away from having this thing going, but I don't know what I need for hardware to do this water cooling. My heater core is bypassed, so the hose just goes from the thermo stat to the hardline on the back of the block. Help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:08 PM
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/sites/default/files/Garrett_White_Paper_01_Water_Cooling.pdf

article on the benefits of water cooling... looks like garrett recommends it for their gt series turbos.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:14 PM
strat81 wrote:http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/sites/default/files/Garrett_White_Paper_01_Water_Cooling.pdf

article on the benefits of water cooling... looks like garrett recommends it for their gt series turbos.

thanks for this lol I already decided I was going to do it but was looking for the hardware needed to do so.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search