feed and return lines(turbo) - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
feed and return lines(turbo)
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:44 AM
Hey guys can you put a T in a oil line somewere for my turbo? will it effect my oil pressure? 2004 ecotech .i'm hearing just tap into the oil pan witch seems easy enough.just not 100% about getting the oil their.thanks

Re: feed and return lines(turbo)
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:27 AM
Feed= port on back or front of engine. Dont use the port on the head that's on the drivers side. I used that for a couple years and it didnt provide enough oil pressure for a journal bearing turbocharger. For return just use the Saab location. Little dimple on the rear of the girdle that pokes up at about a 60-70 degree angle.

Also, there are plenty of threads on this topic.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:44 AM
perfect thank you!
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:50 AM
men, mine has been run off the head for 5 years...

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:54 AM
size turbo?
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:03 AM
Senorguitar wrote:Feed= port on back or front of engine. Dont use the port on the head that's on the drivers side. I used that for a couple years and it didnt provide enough oil pressure for a journal bearing turbocharger. For return just use the Saab location. Little dimple on the rear of the girdle that pokes up at about a 60-70 degree angle.

Also, there are plenty of threads on this topic.

Do you happen to have a picture or more defined location of this alternate feed port? I've been planning on swapping feed locations from the block.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Friday, February 08, 2013 1:05 PM
I know there are two oil feed locations on my 04 ecotec head on the driver side. the rear one sucks for pressure readings for my gauge. it never had pressure and my gauge was all funky. the front one closer to the power steering reservior reads oil pressure perfectly, even tested with my mechanical and digital ones. just make sure you use the right one if you do use the driver side location.

its the round bolt head (requires an allan wrench) facing you if you look at the engine standing at the driverside fender. its just below and to the right of the power steering reservoir if im not mistaken. I couldnt find my pics on photobucket. i can take some if you need. There are two, the one closer to the front of the car is the better one Ive found to use. You may have to get an adapter or coupler to extend past that EGR blockoff plate or whatever that thing is..as a larger sending unit or adapter might not fit when you attempt to screw into the head. but a smaller sending unit or NPT fitting should fit in there just fine (like my mechanical oil pressure gauge).

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, February 08, 2013 4:42 PM
^^ That's the feed spot that is constantly under scrutiny for stealing pressure from the valve train.
It's also where my feed line is. I haven't noticed anything bad, but this motor is going to be built to rev to 10k eventually.

Senorguitar is talking about some port on the block somewhere. I'm curious where it is, and where that pressure is going to... crank or other stuff.

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:49 PM
I had my feed off the side of the head... was only 15psi of oil while cruising and pushing through a -4 line. Now I have it on the front of the block and its right around 75... Im going to move it to the back of the block since its supposed to be lower.

I just need to figure out which plug on the back people are using as well as what fitting it is that I need to screw into the block so I can put a -3an adapter in it.

Friday, February 08, 2013 8:05 PM
Weird, I was reading just under 30 at idle from the head and 45 when it revved. I think the -4 line had a restriction in it though.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 10:35 AM
Depends a lot on temperature. In AZ I couldnt have it come from the head due to no pressure. Moving it to the port under the manifold behind the engine. Looks just like the plug on the side of the head but points up at an angle.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search