Catch can - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Catch can
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:17 AM
Guys,

Finishing my new set up.. Catch can line number 1 come from valve cover, line number 2 should be plumbed into charge piping???? I was thinking like stock used to be.. With the old Saab set up it went to the nipple on the turbo...

Re: Catch can
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:26 AM
Line 2 needs to be before the turbo so that it's under constant vacuum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:27 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:28 AM
I dont know what kind of intake your running but most guys that have a custom sheet metal turbo intake manifold run the line to that.. So Im thinking as long as its getting vacume the charge piping pre TB you should be good..Not 100% sure tho man but more like 90% sure..lol..
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:40 AM
PCV has been a topic of interest for me lately. My thoughts are if you run the line to a charge pipe you'll actually push air into the motor and possibly break seals. So you can run a check valve but then when you're in boost and the motor is running the hardest there isn't anything pulling the gases out. If you run the line to the intake before the turbo it's under constant vacuum and is always working to pull gasses out. But does it pull too much and fill up the can too fast? I honestly don't know.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:12 PM
Yellow,

How is yours hooked up? Are you boosted?

Chip stock intake for now

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:12 PM
You can see I have two lines off my valve cover going into the catch cans.
Then two lines going pre turbo to maintain constant vacuum.
This is working out great on my setup.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:05 PM
jason norwood wrote:How is yours hooked up? Are you boosted?

I'm S/Ced. I have the "stock" setup meaning the hose from the valve cover goes to the intake tube before the throttle body, so before boost. Also, the LSJ manifold has a check valve in it to let pressure out but not in(if it's still functioning properly). I'm not fan of the setup but it's there until I can work on it. If I were going to add a catch can I would just put it in line with the hose I already have and call it a day.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:06 PM
And Bobby your car is baller. That is all.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:23 PM
Phil,

Looks good, please define pre-turbo

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:34 PM
Here's my setup...had it on for ~600 miles so far and got a small amount of yellowish water liquid that smelled horrible. Saikou Michi cans are great.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:36 PM

Here is the catch can that I started making today it will have 2-4 lines coming from Valve cover to can and will have a drain back to block and also a vacuum line running to downpipe to help draw crankcase pressure out and if my vac/boost gauge hooked to the valve cover shows pressure then I'll do an atmosphere style vs vac setup to compare the two

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 06, 2013 2:43 PM

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:45 PM
I think it's funny that half the posts in here are for blowers...

Miller..

If its not vented then its pressurizing the crankcase ( what mine was doing ) are you running a check valve?

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:56 PM
So I guess I will hook it up

1 side to valve cover
2. 2nd to charge pipe and run a filter on the top of the catch can

I think this is right because

1. The stock system is not pressurized and..
2. The stock system does not utilize a Pcv valve

Seem right?

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:01 PM
From what I've read on here our systems need constant vacuum which is betwwen air intake filter and turbo

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:12 PM
jason norwood wrote:I think it's funny that half the posts in here are for blowers...

Miller..

If its not vented then its pressurizing the crankcase ( what mine was doing ) are you running a check valve?

No mine be hooked to a vac source (down pipe ) so it won't be pressurized but if it still has too much pressure then I'm going to run it as lines to catch can with filter and that's it

Jason if you hook one to VC and one to charge pipe all your going to do is have a boost leak and blow air into CC you need to have at least one to VC that runs to catch can and route that too vac source not charge pipes

I will have in between 3 and 5 vents on mine between VC and lower block

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:17 PM
Jason...on yours ...and really any of ours its simple.

Off valve cover------>catch can------->turbo intake tube

The venturi effect will keep the system under vacuum at all times. it creates more vacuum the harder you push your motor.

The reason to my understanding why miller has to see if its building pressure and maybe have to go vented is because the vacuum may not be able to pull enough out. But for any normally boosted cav it'll be fine with a basic setup
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:21 PM
Philly D wrote:Jason...on yours ...and really any of ours its simple.

Off valve cover------>catch can------->turbo intake tube

The venturi effect will keep the system under vacuum at all times. it creates more vacuum the harder you push your motor.

The reason to my understanding why miller has to see if its building pressure and maybe have to go vented is because the vacuum may not be able to pull enough out. But for any normally boosted cav it'll be fine with a basic setup

Correct

Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:52 PM
that thing looks like my coolant tank
Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:53 PM
Luke C....where did you get that elbow off the tb? are you running the stock l61 tb?
I just upgraded to the Vortec and its like 4" needing to be reduced to a 2.5" to the AEM piping. But I need a good, small as possible silicone twisted/double 90' bend like yours...

btw, i havent been able to locate one locally, but you should prob get a one way check valve between your can exit line and intake to catch any of that crud that gets in there. I get A LOT of that bubbly/yellow fuel smelling crud in my intake/catch can.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, March 29, 2013 8:37 AM
^^No need for a check valve...

Thats what the catch can is for...to catch the crud. If the baffles are done right nothing will make it to your intake.
Friday, March 29, 2013 9:06 AM
blu04DD wrote:Luke C....where did you get that elbow off the tb? are you running the stock l61 tb?
I just upgraded to the Vortec and its like 4" needing to be reduced to a 2.5" to the AEM piping. But I need a good, small as possible silicone twisted/double 90' bend like yours...

Are you running open TB right now? lol. On topic Philly's right I don't think a check valve is necessary unless your can is unbaffled or has crappy baffles.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:30 AM
blu04DD wrote:Luke C....where did you get that elbow off the tb? are you running the stock l61 tb?

btw, i havent been able to locate one locally, but you should prob get a one way check valve between your can exit line and intake to catch any of that crud that gets in there. I get A LOT of that bubbly/yellow fuel smelling crud in my intake/catch can.

The elbow is from the k&n intake they make for our cars...i cut the piping to fit in the spot and had a bung welded in to be able to screw in the hose barb. Yes I'm running the stock tb

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 1:05 PM
i need a better quality catch can..mine doesnt catch crap. that yellowish fuel smelling oil crud gets through to my intake, then into my tb.
so its venting after the catch can to prevent anymore crud getting into my intake.

what catch cans did some of you guys go with that are successfully catching all that crud, and how often are you emptying the can? mine builds up that stuff fast

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, May 01, 2013 1:12 PM
Misimoto.. Generally if it is over 80-100 bucks there should be baffling in it I would say

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:33 PM
Saikou Michi catch can. Catches EVERYTHING. Just changed out my silicon coupling and it and the tube where bone dry. I empty it whenever I feel its time but I dont get that much stuff. Yes the Saikou cans are baffled. Saikoumichi.com ... Nice thing is you can get it made however you want

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search