Some S/C Questions, Help? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Some S/C Questions, Help?
Friday, May 03, 2013 6:19 AM
Okay, So Im planing im s/c my 99 2.4 5spd, I read the Official Thread on what i may or may not need. Says a AFPR and fuel management system, Is that in terms of a different fuel pump, fuel rail..ect or everything? And yes i know i need a wideband and a way to tune it.

Now i was told by a friend who has a ebay turbo'd integra, thats blown 2 head gaskets lol that i can just install the s/c without these components and just take it to get tuned, Honestly i want to do it right. So whats up can i get some help? (:

Not sure what s/c, It was on a 2000 Z. I saw pix, same motor as mine, But im going down to see it Sunday and least by then i can refer back to this thread

Get Wrecked

Re: Some S/C Questions, Help?
Friday, May 03, 2013 3:08 PM
If you are planning on taking your car to be dyno tuned then the only fuel components you will need are bigger injectors.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:40 AM
ah thank you

Get Wrecked
Saturday, May 04, 2013 10:40 AM
You may want to look into upgrading the fuel pump, just depends on the power(hp) that your trying to make. Remember our stock pump will support the
3800 supercharged and I believe it is right around the 260hp-280hp range
Saturday, May 04, 2013 3:40 PM
If you can find someone who can actually tune your car (this should be your major concern), then some larger I Hector's (which the kit your getting should have those with it). You should be good.

Upgrading your fuel pump is not bad, but also not needed.

Again finding a tuner should be your biggest concern.

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 05, 2013 5:21 AM
Addicted to meth, I do believe the s/c is coming with bigger injectors. And yeah im deffin concerned about getting it tuned, Dont plan on blowing anything up lol But heres a good question, Would it be a safe bet to drive to a dyno, or trailer?

Get Wrecked
Sunday, May 05, 2013 5:27 AM
oh wait, bc the windband will tell me if im running to rich or lean... So that'll basically determine if its driveable duh loll

Get Wrecked
Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:40 AM
Technically you could drive it as long as you stay out of boost. However, if you hit ANY BOOST untuned it could cause some serious problems.... blown engine.
I am taking mine on a trailer to be tuned just to be safe.
Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:47 PM
thanks ^ I'm seeing the importance of this .. Another thing, My car has 140k on it right now, My dads saying if i try to boost it, Its gonna blow the Oil seals. I think hes just looking at the negative picture, Couldnt a Tune prevent that, prevent anything from blowing?

Get Wrecked
Monday, May 06, 2013 5:35 AM
Your dad is clueless...

Oil seals don't go because of boost. With the GM charger kit youll be just fine with a good tune.
Monday, May 06, 2013 9:23 PM
^this

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 7:14 AM
Yeah, the oil seals wont blow. The shop my car is at had a 00 Sunfire in there with a SC on it, and they tuned it fine. Altho, he didnt have big enough injectors (yours are going to sufficient) and he actually ran out of fuel pump ( stock one started dieing) so while he had it there he had them install a bigger fuel pump. I cant recall what it was. The shop tuned it, and did a damn good job on it as well, and they have a in-shop dyno. They are actually going to tune my SC ecotec. Its inline to be done Thursday, and i cannot wait

As far as driving it, you will be fine as long as you have a boost guage on it. I was really worried about driving mine to the shop. I had the boost guage on it, and was told the same, stay out of boost. I did and drive it the mile to the shop and had no issues. The only problem you might have is if you install the bigger injectors with no tune. The car more then likely will not run due to it flooding it out. Keep the stock injectors in, drive car nice and slowly to the shop, keep a close eye on the boost guage, stay out of boost, and you will be prefectly fine.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:15 AM
I've heard of people zip tying the bypass valve open on the way to be tuned to stay out of boost. Still don't want to rag on it or anything but that could get you somewhere relatively close without major problems.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:30 AM
alright .. thanks and yeah i mean idk they're saying its called "blowby" and omg its got 140k ... You know im hearing all this buzzing in my ear about how i cant throw a SC on a motor with "That" many miles on it.. its frustrating really, But i take good care of it, Oil changes every 5k, Always checking fluids ect

And i mean if i gotta get a new fuel pump, i think i read some people were using Walboro? hmm

I was also on the HP Tuners website, Couldnt find the program that was compatible with a 99 GM car

Get Wrecked
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:00 AM
Blow-by is when the piston rings dont seal or are really worn and combustion gasses get past them and go into the oil pan. Unless your burning oil I wouldnt worry about that. And mileage on the engine really doenst mean anything anymore, IF you have taken care of the motor. If not then mileage can be just a ticking time bomb. If anything you would blow a head gasket, or actually blow the motor before you blew out oil seals.

As far as HPT having a specific tune for your car or credits I dont know if they do, BUT, IIRC the 00 2.4 computer and the 99 2.4 computeres are the same just depends on auto or manual. But do not quote me on that. Maybe someone can verify or correct this.

Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:10 PM
nope the 99 and the 00 are not i have a 99 and i am going to s/c it i have every thing to do it(well all most)
a 99 the best way to run a s/c from all the shop and peeps that i have been talking to before i do my install (witch is going to happen in 4 days)
after making sure i did not miss getting all the info
you cant reflash a 99 ecu running a fmu on any 2.4 s/c by it self is not a good ideal
some say run a afpr with the mfu but then you have no manual control over tunning the a/f
anyways from all the tunning shops i have called and talked to if you want to run a s/c and feel safe, is to run a afpr and a programmer.
because my ecu cant be fu*ked with safely i am running afpr and a apexi neo that will be ably to let the shop tune my
a/f with the programmer at all the rpm ranges manually.
so i can be a 3000rpm,s the inj will be set to what ever it needs to be at for proper a/f and boost and this can be done at ranges of every 500 rpm,s
so you will always be at right a/f to boost.but i have not had a reason to research on the 00 ecu after i maid up my mind i was not an anyway going to do a 00 ecu swap .
but i do believe you should be ably to tune the 00 ecu with a wideban but i do believe you will need a afpr.
Monday, May 20, 2013 8:14 AM
My z24 had 148k on it and I have the m45 pushing the charger harder than most.

Any motor can break at anytime regardless of what's done to it.

You can drive it untuned if you drive it normal, but requires control, and control becomes hard when it comes to boost. Zip tieing the bypass valve open is a good thing.

HPTuners can be used on a 99.

You can run the gm supercharger reflash on a 99, but you will loose some gauge functions, and has a light or two on the dash, but car will run and could be tuned properly.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search