M62 mods: Venom cooler & Lightweight Rotors - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M62 mods: Venom cooler & Lightweight Rotors
Monday, May 13, 2013 1:02 PM
Stiegemeier work
M62 Costs:
Venom Cooler: $475
Lightweight Rotors: $550

Has anyone done either of these mods?
Cooler helps reduce snout temperatures quite a bit. If anything it'll increase the longevity of the parts and temperature reduction is always a good thing.
Lightweight Rotors are reduced 60% and allow more RPMs and boost, though Im not sure on the smaller M62's how much of a gain this would be. I like the fact that its less wear and tear on the bearings and internal parts.

I know the mods may not result in a huge hp increase, but Im looking at long term mods to optimize performance and longetivy at the same time. Cooling and part stress reduction can never really be a bad thing..as long as the cost doesnt outweigh the benefits.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: M62 mods: Venom cooler & Lightweight Rotors
Monday, May 13, 2013 2:08 PM
between those two mods, you're talking used harrop money...

personally, i wouldn't drop that kind of money into an m62 with the gains you'd see from the harrop.

Monday, May 13, 2013 3:50 PM
The rotors have apparently cause some mustang guys to lose their superchargers. Apparently the rotors deflect slightly and in turn takes out the case and the rotors. So they may save the replaceable bearings.....but the rest of its toast lol.

The snout cooler is a good idea and I may try it. But ill be trying it on a tvs charger if I do. Its actually a pretty basic idea if you look at it. If you want to try it id contact Euthanasia(sp?) on CSS. I believe he does them a fair bit cheaper.

The best mod is a Harrop
Monday, May 13, 2013 5:43 PM
I learned about this snout cooler about a month ago.

For a road racing setup I could see it. For me no.

The rotors for the right setup yes, for me, no.

FU Tuning

Monday, May 13, 2013 8:48 PM
without going into the cost of a TVS im looking at other options. Because a TVS will require on top of that, the full motor build. I don't know if that's my plan yet since I haven't figured out the extent of my damage.
a ported TVS and the best cooling solution on the market along with a full motor build is obviously ideal, but you're talking thousands and thousands on top of just making the current ported m62 more efficient at under a fraction of a (proper) TVS build.
hell if the long block is toast..i guess ill be looking at complete motor swaps like the rest of the blown crowd..no use in putting in a stock bottom end l61 lol

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:15 AM
Tinkles and Wizard both have the TVS on the stock bottom end....
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:37 AM
Philly D wrote:Tinkles and Wizard both have the TVS on the stock bottom end....

And they're waiting for them to blow.

I don't know about these mods, the return doesn't seem worth the cost. IMO it's a pay to play scenario. The m62 is proven to last a long time if you don't abuse it with a 2.5" pulley all day every day. If you want more than what a ported m62 will give you then your only real option is to spend the money on a tvs and bottom end upgrades (if you're looking for some kind of longevity).

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:48 AM
on something like an m62 where you can actually USE a heat exchanger setup i dont see the venom cooler doing much. i think meth injection would do more for you.. but, i am an avid believer in every single cooling mod option so if you got the cash go for it. id love to get a venom cooler for my m45 but its just not in the cards right now. the one that thing sucks about steigemeyer on this deal is they REQUIRE you to have the snout rebuilt at the same time... even though i had just rebuilt mine they said it still needed to be done so trying to shave any kind of money off it is futile..

have you looked into the DEI cryo2 stuff? lots of things you can do to cool iat's with their stuff....

as for the lightweight rotors thats pretty badass... m62 rotors are much shorter than any mustang blower's so i wouldnt worry about deflection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:50 AM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:24 AM
well yeah, like yellow said tinkles and wizard are hoping for a nice little fireworks show. i am not as i dont have a motor on stand by and parts ready to upgrade with, and its my dd so parts shopping and prep is not a quick process.

the way i see it is having a fully built m62 is basically pushing the motors limits but you can do it fairly safely and be just as fast as a base TVS set up with no modificaitons. depends on your end goal. think of it like a gov't civilians payscale..you can be a GS-8 step 10, or a GS-11 step 1. same pay and benefits, if your goal is to make $50k then theres no need to apply for a GS-11 when the GS-8 maxed out is all you ever want. The advantage obviously if youre willing to pay the price, is the TVS base can do the power levels more efficiently.

Zyaaa, Im surprised they didnt offer like a core credit or something..giving them yours to buy a new one. I have not looked at the DEI setups..ill youtube it and see what its all about.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:30 AM
oh and i dont follow on the comment about not seeing the venom cooler doing much on an m62 + h/e set up. wouldnt the h/e setup aid the cooler in cooling the snout, which it does not do at all in stock form? the meth and other cooling mods cool the main body of the blower, not the snout. while im not sure of the power gains, keeping that high spinning part cool has to have some sort of positive residual effects.

and i have the entire meth set up. its just not installed. the main thing is where to tap the nozzle. the tb adapter is expensive..f*cking that up will be a pricey mistake. My other option is to tap the tb itself somehow or buy a spacer to put between the tb and the tb spacer. this would however definitely require a battery relocation to the trunk as my space is literally used up.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:55 PM
you can always just tap the intake tube if you want. works better for siphoning issues anyway. i had a hell of a time with that til i got the anti siphoning solenoid to fix it. i dont know how the m62 tb setup is or where the TPS is but on my LD9 its on the bottom of the tb, my meth was getting down into it all the time when it was siphoning, but now since ive fixed that issue i havent been going through TPS's... thank god cuz that @!#$ got old real quick.

an m62 on meth along side the venom cooler, and all the heat exchanger options would be freaking EPIC. i would think that even on a 2.8" snout pulley you could keep iat's down to 70-80* all the time! im seeing around 130* crusing and up to 170-180* under a pull even on meth. i still need to try the next step up nozzle size, though....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:56 PM

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:04 PM
so run the tvs with a bigger pulley... similar boost levels as the m62 (albeit moving a bit more cfm) and no popping the motor.

again, I don't see the point in sinking 1g into a less efficient blower when a better option exists that allows room for growth. I'd rather run the more efficient blower than try to cool down an overspun m62.

tinkles has autoxed his car on the tvs with no ill effects and has yet to pop the motor.

but hey, your money...

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:23 AM
Zyaaa, what nozzle are you running currently and what ratio of coolant/meth? I planned on having a safer ration of about 50/50, but the bug to have more power is always there lol...

strat, youre absolutely right. but if you never plan on upgrading the motor or pushing the TVS into its limits (dropping pullies, etc) then its a lot more costly than just fine tuning the m62 setup and leaving it at that. i would love a TVS and it may go that route..who knows. leaving the tvs in its stock form with a stock block seems like a waste to me if you're already at that level or near it with an m62 and just want to finalize any cooling efforts. if i have to build the motor..the m62 will get old fast as the power limits obviously will be reached very quickly. im curious if the TVS on a small pulley and fully built motor would bottleneck at the stock LSJ intake manifold.. 400fwhp+ via supercharger on a jbody would be epic.. O.o

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:18 AM
im running the 175cc/min nozzle currently (will be changed to 375cc/min tonight) and straight water. i dont have enough boost or compression (yet) to worry about detonation, really so i dont see the point of spending tons of money on the 50/50 mix stuff right now when all i really need is cooling. i ran it in the beginning and it was ok but the water seems to cool it much better.

planning on running e85 soon too so that will cool the chambers down considerably.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:03 AM
distilled/pure water right? ($.80/gal)
ive had my meth set up for a while now and really need to get it all installed and ready to run. just been lazy as to how i want to properly secure it in the trunk. Was wanting to do a custom closed case like a battery box or something

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:08 AM
nope just been running regular tap water for now. i know i should use a filtered water but i just wanted to test it etc.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:29 AM
better efficiency at the same cost is never a waste. granted you aren't pushing the harrop to the limits but you're intake charge will be cooler to begin with as you aren't pushing the blower as hard to make the same kind of power and your mechanical temps (snout/etc) won't be as high because you aren't spinning the blower as fast.

between the two steig mods you have listed above, the price is about what you'd pay for a used harrop +/- $100-200

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:31 AM
p.s. if you plan on autoxing at an scca event (I believe you mentioned in another post you'd like to give it a shot), meth injection is not a legal mod in any class. granted at the local level they MIGHT allow it.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:45 PM
I didnt think you could pick up a GOOD used Harrop for under $2k. Ive seen them for more than that usually if I recall.
Thats how I was basing my cost to value opinion. If I could pick up a used TVS for closer to $1000, thats not a bad investment. I was thinking more like an extra grand.

And I had planned a few times to get into AutoX but just never had the right tires for it. Well a few days prior to my engine going boom a week ago, i just dropped over $650 in new shoes that grip very well. of course thats nothing compared to what i prob going to drop to repair my engine now...so who knows if it'll see autox. I really am building my car for back roads and would eventually like to hit up a race course and really open it up. Im modded for autox as is, so i think id do well (even on 3 cylinders haha jk)...but they said id be in the super modified class or something...with the big boys.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:46 PM
maybe i'm mistaken... but i thought i've seen them from time to time in that price range...

i agree, if you're looking at a 2k minimum purchase price, then yea, it doesn't make sense.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:47 PM
blu04DD wrote:
And I had planned a few times to get into AutoX but just never had the right tires for it. Well a few days prior to my engine going boom a week ago, i just dropped over $650 in new shoes that grip very well. of course thats nothing compared to what i prob going to drop to repair my engine now...so who knows if it'll see autox. I really am building my car for back roads and would eventually like to hit up a race course and really open it up. Im modded for autox as is, so i think id do well (even on 3 cylinders haha jk)...but they said id be in the super modified class or something...with the big boys.

you should be able to run SMF based on your mods. it's a highly modified class but at least with SMF you're only against other fwd cars vs rwd/awd in straight SM.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:31 PM
yeah I remember them saying down here in southern TX theres little SMF too..so id almost always be 1st or 2nd haha. But really you only race your own times anyhow so its not like you NEED competition..but that is a fun variable to include..

right now im just wanting it running again..fixed up and tuned right it'll be WAY faster than it was and im sure it'll enourage me to take it to the track. AutoX is big around here in San Antonio and im friends with a bunch of SASCA people who do it every month like clockwork. ive gone and watched too, its looks like a blast and knowing my car is faster and better handling than a lot of them (not all but many) I should do okay.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:47 PM
Typical used TVS is about $1500 + or -- $100-200.

I like the snout cooler and it would be easy to recreate but the rotors isnt something id risk.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:51 PM
I've researched used tvs's but can't ever find one for less than 2 grand :/

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:04 PM
There is 2 right now in the Css.net classifieds. One for 1600 and another for 1500.

They very rarely come up and when they do they are sold in minutes. These ones must have hit a time when people didnt have the cash.

Edit....there is one left...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search