fuel cooling ? help lower temps from blower - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fuel cooling ? help lower temps from blower
Friday, June 14, 2013 3:14 PM
Standing at work today and had what I believe to be a @!#$ amazing idea! If I ran copper or stanless line all zig zagged threw the lower gas tank ran them up threw into the trunk and had a small ac pump from let's say a freezer hooked it all up and charged system and had it set to a switch to shut off when fuel reached desired temp and ran a gauge to monitor fuel temps at rail what I'm thinking is if I can cool fuel to a really low temp 20*F or lower even put this in with meth injection on a m45 or turbo set up m62 or etc even n/a if by cooling the fuel so low that let's say you temps post blower or what not were 175*F if you were introducing fuel at 20*F to the system how huge of a cooling effect it would have on incoming air into combustion chamber @!#$ is could even be enough to not run meth maybe? I really think this is a great idea just wanna see what everybody thinks as well. I'm just thinking out loud I know ppl have systems that cool in line fuel or cans for dry ice but if we could cool whole fuel tank with a refrigeration system I think it could achive wayy cooler temps and be really effective!

I Love My J ♡

Re: fuel cooling ? help lower temps from blower
Friday, June 14, 2013 3:41 PM
seems like a good idea to me but jesus thatd be a lot of work lol i suppose if you could justify the weight gains of the refrigerant system over the cooler fuel then sure...

the problem with real cold fuel is its harder to atomize, or so i have read. who knows if that stems from the carb world or not. modern fuel injection with high pressures might not mind it that bad.

"cooling cans" have been around for a long time, they dont really freeze down the fuel like we would want though. even still, every little bit adds up.

now, i have a cryo2 c02 sprayer system that has different options you can add, one of them being the fuel chiller. what is it does basically is cool the fuel down with co2. you can also get bulbs that go into the intake tract (which i have for my system), and intercooler sprayers etc. the fuel chiller looks sort of like a fuel rail that has co2 lines running through it that the fuel passes over.

another idea ive always wanted to try is to put your gas in a can and drop the bitch in a cooler full of ice or a deep freeze. this only works for a short time until it gets to ambiant temp though. a good idea for the track if you have a big cooler full of ice you can dedicate to putting your fuel into LOL

you are on the right track though man. trust me, always run meth. it cools the blower down insanely well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 14, 2013 3:45 PM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Friday, June 14, 2013 5:37 PM
isn't fuel cool already? its what helps keep your pump cool when its submerged.

sounds like a lot of work though vs just installing a $200-300 meth set up that works and is proven. but thinking outside the box is how new innovations happen.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, June 14, 2013 6:28 PM
^ it might be cool when you first pump it because its stored underground but once it hits your tank its gonna be pretty close to ambiant in there.

Friday, June 14, 2013 7:37 PM
this should really help for vapor locking our carbeureters.

oh, wait a minute...

Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:38 PM
I think it would be fine with the high pressure in our fuel injection but just imagen -20* fuel coming out injectorsplus meth at the front and even add a venom cooler on top that I seen set ups on line for dirt bikes etc dry ice systems that lower temps to -20 and they work great plus if I used a small pump like out of a small house freezer ran the lines etc I don't think it would be too heavy take the spare tire and jack out to justify it I guess I can give it a go and see how it works I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its a good idea

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:43 AM
oh i think its it a good idea just wanna see if the results outweigh the work and weight of it...

Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:05 PM
While your at it you should run a tube off that box to your intake to seed your charger with that cold.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 17, 2013 5:01 AM
Not a bad idea just hope its all worth the time of course !

I Love My J ♡
Monday, June 17, 2013 6:08 AM
Someone did this in the late 50s early 60s. Hot Rod covered it if I recall correctly. It did effect carb cars, but had very little affect on the early fuel injected cars. I think it would have very little cost to benefit ratio on our modern fuel injected cars.

Last I read........15-20F degree drop in fuel temp. = 1-2 degree drop in charge temp.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 17, 2013 1:26 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:this should really help for vapor locking our carbeureters.

oh, wait a minute...

pretty much sums it up... we had to do it on my dads 71Z and fixed hydrolock issues until we replaced the carb.

Now a days it won't do much.

Monday, June 17, 2013 7:25 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:the problem with real cold fuel is its harder to atomize, or so i have read. who knows if that stems from the carb world or not. modern fuel injection with high pressures might not mind it that bad.

I'm going to have to agree with this. The colder the fuel is the more energy its going to take to vaporize it completely (not just the mistiness it get from the injectors). Granted it will pull more heat out of the air to vaporize but without something substantially heating the air like a blower youre probably going to run into fuel puddling issues from the fuel not completely vaporizing.

Whatever small gain you might see isnt worth it and really is just a band aid for high IATs. Same goes with CO2 cryo kits and meth injection (IMO dont kill me peeps). Haha

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:27 AM
^The cooling you get from a meth kit is huge for blower cars. Not to mention the octane boost and allowing to run a ton more timing.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:26 PM
lol meth injection is definitely not a cooling band aid. it works very well actually.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:26 PM
Ill agree with Brad....

People who spray pre blower, the blower is cold to the touch. Even intercooled if I touch my blower after a decent drive it'll burn my hand.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:08 PM
Well I guess what I could do prior to building a system is throw a few gallons of gas in the freezer and run a dyno pass on gas in tank then throw freezing gas in and take a pass see what happens power wise and make my decision @!#$ 5 HP is 5 HP in my book espally if I run it up to air intake be cheaper then venom cooler lol

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search