no power gain after turbo ln2? 2001 sunfire - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
no power gain after turbo ln2? 2001 sunfire
Monday, August 05, 2013 12:12 AM
ok I ordered an ebay turbo the full kit came with the intercooler the wastegate everything.. I know its all crap haha just was bored and wanted to spend some money before it went to bills. anyways I got excited and as soon as I got the kit I ran out and put it on my car I didn't install the fmic just ran the pipe straight to the intake I haven't put the bov on yet im just running the wastegate(have no idea what lb spring they put in it lol) and I just turned the downpipe straight out the top of the hood.. I just wanted to get it on and see what the car would do.. here is my problem the car acts like it has less power now? I can hear the turbo spool like crazy and it scares the hell out of me haha I don't know if it needs tuned or what ive been doing a ton of research because when I took the stock exhaust manifold off I just cut the o2 sensor off with it. does that need to be on there to read correct airfuel raitios? I did the same with the stock intake the air sensor that plugged in I just pulled it out. there is absolutely no ost leaks I know for sure and everything is hooked up right it just acts like when the boost really starts to build up it craps out no power even if I slowly lay in to the throttle I need help quick. also another quick question where do I need to hook up my boost gauge ive looked for vaccum lines on the throttle body but I aint sure what is what haha. thinks I plan on posting pics later I literally through this together in on day ad everything bolted on and car back running wasn't that hard I just don't understand why it doesn't have at least a little bit more power ?? I hooked up a little gauge and it shoes it builds boost 10psi is the highest I could get it to go before it craped out also it smokes now?? any help would be great!

Re: no power gain after turbo ln2? 2001 sunfire
Monday, August 05, 2013 2:45 AM
Put the car back to stock and walk away. Nothing that you described was done right.

No BOV = bad
Stock fuel injectors = bad
No tune = bad
No IAT = bad
No primary O2 sensor = bad

You either stop driving the car immediatly and fix it or it will blow up by the end of the week. You need to do ALOT more research.

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:11 AM
WOW

FU Tuning

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:33 AM
I don't even know where to start....

Monday, August 05, 2013 4:36 AM
This is so funny.
So many compounding mistakes.
This car will not last long at all.
Monday, August 05, 2013 4:37 AM
NO BOV = Need new turbo due to premature bearing failure from excessive compressor surge.
Monday, August 05, 2013 6:38 AM
This has to be a troll there is no way anyone would put a turbo on a car and overlook so many things. If however this is real and you really did this to your car take all that stuff off of it now and put it back to stock. Step back and do way more research you said you did research but find it hard to believe with all the things you have done wrong.
Monday, August 05, 2013 6:55 AM
Haaaaaas to be a troll

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:42 AM
19 and from MO? I am guessing it is real..

Monday, August 05, 2013 9:10 AM
ive done a lot of research like I said. I understand it needs a tune I know it needs injectors and the bov is gonna get put on very soon I mainly just wanted to start the car and take it for a quick spin but when I heard the turbo spooling I turned around and parked it I didn't beat on it nothing literally as soon as I heard the turbo spool and it didn't go nowhere I knew something was up im gonna run out there now and hook up the 02 and see if that maybe helps a little then im going to sho me speed to have it tuned I have looked all over I just put a 7lb spring I had in the garage in the wastegate im very close to being done I aint walkin away lol if it blows up or not "I wana go fast" (joke I know it wont be fast)
Monday, August 05, 2013 6:20 PM
Uhm...
Lemme see here...
Nevermind...

Monday, August 05, 2013 7:19 PM
Run!!!! Nos!!!

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, August 05, 2013 9:14 PM
well seeing how nobody helped what so over lol I found out my issue my self the o2 sensor had to be pluged in.(that was the main question I asked no one answered to) I drove to autozone this morning bought a brand new o2 sensor drilled the hole plugged it in and the car ran like a bat outta hell. weird how something so little caused such a big issue then as I was running it the hose I had running to the intake blew off and when I got out to put it back on I saw that my awesome cheaply made ebay turbo has a bad oil seal causing my car to intake quite a bit of oil meaning the smoke! wow me being 19 found all that out my self lol I really know a lot about cars thinks for the help though haha..
Monday, August 05, 2013 9:18 PM
Yea, sure. All of your problems are fixed now....

That isnt going to save you from blowing up your car.

Monday, August 05, 2013 9:48 PM
Being 19 is not an excuse.

Monday, August 05, 2013 9:50 PM
Are you sure the seals are leaking and your not pressurizing your crank case.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:05 PM
He probably didnt run a restrictor in the feed line for the turbo. Too much oil pressure destroys turbo seals very quickly.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:02 PM
Brian wrote:He probably didnt run a restrictor in the feed line for the turbo. Too much oil pressure destroys turbo seals very quickly.

That true with a cheap eBay turbo. Name brand turbos/ quality turbos have restrictors built in so you can run over 80psi to them.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:51 PM
This is by far the best JBO thread of 2013.

I'm so excited to see how it turns out!

Don't disappear OP - we want more updates!!!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:03 PM
In before the lock. This thread is awesome.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 5:56 PM
Maybe compressor surge cause the seal to go bad.

I'm sure the car runs great if you drive it normal, go out and go wot for about 30 minutes and tell us how it runs after that.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:23 AM
well I called the place I bought the ebay turbo from and in the kit was supposed to be a restrictor for the oil feed line and it didn't come with one so they shipped me a little metal restrictor I put it on im getting ready to rebuild (seals) then reclock the turbo and buy my injectors, bov is going on and then im gonna go get it tuned glad there are at least a couple people interested haha. after I installed the o2 sensor the car actually has power but I can tell a tune would really bring it to life ill try and post pics some other time
Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:46 PM
Im sure the "kit" was suppose to come with alot of things....

Friday, August 09, 2013 2:52 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Im sure the "kit" was suppose to come with alot of things....

Like an instruction manual...

Friday, August 09, 2013 8:35 AM
You're doing the rebuild yourself?

How do you plan to re balance the wheels and shaft?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search