water injection - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
water injection
Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:22 AM
is anybody on here running straight water injection??

I know most are running meth but SCCA rules dictate no meth. Water injection is allowed however and I think there would still be a benefit to help cool the intake charge if I decide to drop pulley sizes.

If you are running water injection, what type of setup are you running and how much water are you injecting into the intake charge?

Re: water injection
Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:54 PM
I'm running meth/water mix, but I agree just water would have a big benefit.

I have thought of trying just water to see myself.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:07 PM
I've also thought of doing this but never did. I'm guessing you would want a small nozzle, something like 1gal/hr (63cc/min). Seems like the best bet would be to spray pre-blower to cool down the rotors, etc.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:20 PM
Why so small of a nozzle? I'm running a 500cc nozzle.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:26 PM
With pure water? I feel like that could be bad for your octane rating. Long as there's meth in that mix spray away with bigger nozzles.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 26, 2013 5:59 PM
I'm sure it will be a balancing act to find the right amount of water to cool the charge without causing misfires.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:17 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:With pure water? I feel like that could be bad for your octane rating. Long as there's meth in that mix spray away with bigger nozzles.

This.
Spencer, I think pure water will do wonders on cooling..same deal as running 100% distilled water in the h/e vs water/coolant...pure water (in my testing at least) has lowered IATs by a few degrees consistently because of its better heat transfer...that being said, I think straight water injection will do well in keeping IATs at bay.
But definitely a small nozzle...like said, pure water shot from a big nozzle is going to impact the octane...and besides, I don't think it'll need a big nozzle to work because of how effective purr water is.

Is this a recent change from SCCA? I thought when I read last years rule book meth was Ok, but its been a while since I looked so I may he imagining things. I was going to run meth on the vette, but maybe straight water will be in my future for auto-x.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 3:18 PM
It's been the ruling for as long as I've been supercharged. They are worried about the flammability of meth... (Even though most cars running have windshield washer fluid on board...)

Sunday, December 29, 2013 3:22 PM
strat81 wrote:They are worried about the flammability of meth... (Even though most cars running have windshield washer fluid on board...)

Gotta love the dumb rules. Like needing a cutoff switch if I put the battery in the trunk but the cobalt doesn't need it because it came stock.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, January 01, 2014 12:13 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
strat81 wrote:They are worried about the flammability of meth... (Even though most cars running have windshield washer fluid on board...)

Gotta love the dumb rules. Like needing a cutoff switch if I put the battery in the trunk but the cobalt doesn't need it because it came stock.

yes, buuuut... a cobalt came stock that way and was designed as such. the main thing they want with the cutoff is because you modify the system.

spencer, id say go for it. but use meth. there is no way in hell they are gonna be able to prove you arent using straight water. use the stock washer fluid tank and use OEM type fittings along with hiding the meth system. they wont know any different. i like that.. because of the flammability of meth?! thats ludacrous... at 51%/49% its not a problem and thats what you should run anyway, IMO. thats what worked best for myself between cooling and fueling. if they are shunning meth injection they better shun E85, too. ...absolutely ridonkyalus, these rules are.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:37 PM
The issue being is that id like to keep the car legal in the event that I take the car to a national event. At the local level I know its a non-issue.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:33 PM
The rule was explained to me that you can't run straight meth or any flammable fluid outside of gas but a water/meth mix was ok be cause any mixture with 51% or more water is not considered flammable.

In a water/meth mix the water cools and the meth counters the reduced octane rating. So running pure water would increase the cooling effect but it could have other negative consequences and you might have to turn up the fuel to compensate.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:39 AM
Water doesn't compress, and it doesn't burn. Theoretically, water has an "infinite" octane rating because it will never pre-ignite. Injecting too much will absolutely rob power or even cause misfires, so there's a balance between the amount needed to cool and the amount that will rob power. When I was experimenting with mixes on the solstice, running too much water definitely caused problems - I have logs from a very hot summer day where the car was misfiring like crazy and actually shut off from too much water. Since then, I always recommend at least 50% meth, and if you need/want to run more water, use a very small nozzle.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search