How much boost are the 2.2 ohv running? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much boost are the 2.2 ohv running?
Saturday, August 09, 2014 9:33 AM
Hey newer to the site! Just wondering how much boost you guys are running on the 2.2 ohv engines?

Built and boosted 2.2 ohv

Re: How much boost are the 2.2 ohv running?
Saturday, August 09, 2014 3:17 PM
Depending on the turbo size....3psi....45... our stock ln2 was happy on 14 psi with a t3t4oe 57 trim then built the motor and it is fine at 24psi a the time. The tune is what keeps everything happy.

Saturday, August 09, 2014 4:05 PM
Ya my engine is built, eagle rods and arius pistons I'm trying to find out what the block can handle? Went through some tuning on the 6th and made 223 whp on 14lbs, but ran into some fueling issues so got to figure that out before I get to the 20+ psi, just looking for the highest number people have ran safely !!

Saturday, August 09, 2014 7:35 PM
32 I think on mine.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, August 09, 2014 9:28 PM
So did you have to use new map sensor? A 3 bar I would imagine? And if do what did it come off of?

Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:26 AM
No. Stock PCM stock sensors.

It's alpha n tuned.

It rarely gets to what I think is 32 (gauge goes to 30) because there hasn't been enough load on it to get there. Average is 28-9 through a gt35.

With a built motor and a good tune I'm not sure what the power limit actually is for where parts start to break. Only issue I think I have is the timing set doesn't like going to 7k and it's starting to complain. Chain and guides will likely be routine maintenance; unless the parts I got just fluke wore out prematurely.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:52 AM
How much power are you making?

Sunday, August 10, 2014 12:38 PM
Absolutely no idea. lol.

Need a clutch and then returning to the dyno shop.

Took it like 2 weeks ago and it made 305whp but that was on nothing but clutch slip.

I have a spec 4 springless on the way to my house. Then will see.

Theres a thread in photos & media. "turbo ln2 video" of all my progress since i put the built motor in. Its come a long way from where it was "supposed" to be.

I *want* to make 400, but who knows. Whatever it has is untouchable by all but one car that i have tested it against (over 40mph of course). its reliable and goes like stink, it almost doesnt matter what it makes; im more curious than anything.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:37 PM
Very nice! Mine will make 300, I just don't know how much more above that. I really want to go e85, but the closest station is 10 miles from my house, I'm torn. That 223 was on 91 octane, with out any of the timing played with and only 14 lbs. I think I'm going to try for 25-28 lbs, it sounds like the block can handle it!

Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:59 PM
My closest e85 station is about that distance too.

It's worth it IMO. We added 2* on the last tune at the top and it made noticeably more power.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:41 PM
Our car make 261whp and 306wtq @18 psi iirc last trip to the dyno. The crushed 1gdsm bov we had was leaking above that and we are on a stock head with upgraded valves and springs. Now we have a "dodge garage" mod'd dsm bov and it holds whatever psi we throw at it. Matt I'm attempting to get vids from this weekend of the ln2 messing with the 04 gto on the highway and street. Next update in our "tiny update" thread will be vids.

Monday, August 11, 2014 7:31 AM
I'm excited to see this! I always liked the gto but watching another ln2 spank one would be awesome.

Not to thread jack but I'm going to start working my spare head once I get the clutch done. Cause you know, stock head just ain't enough and you need my old ported one

Monday, August 11, 2014 5:30 PM
Ya my head is ported already, I can't wait to see what mine will do once the bugs are worked out

Friday, August 22, 2014 4:39 PM
K another question, who is running what fuel pressure regulator? I think my set up might be causing my lean problems, when I bought the car it was using the stock one on the rail and another mounted to the fire wall. My thoughts are that they are messing with each other, but not sure

Attachments
image.jpg (1587k)

Friday, August 22, 2014 6:35 PM
The stock fpr is a 1:1 boost reference. If your tuned via hp tuners leave it unless your messing with base fuel pressure.

Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:23 AM
I'm running the aeromotive (forget the model number) that bolts directly to our rail. It's also boost reference 1:1. My base fuel pressure is higher than stock though.

I ran the stock one for a long time till I think it failed maybe. But with a good tune you shouldn't need an aftermarket unit unless you need a base pressure increase.

Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:39 PM
Sweet good to know, I'll probably take that second one out this week. What wide bands are you guys running? Here's a old pic before I put my engine in it as well
Attachments
image.jpg (1661k)

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:15 PM
I'm using this one. Old devices dm6. It's nice. Provides simulated narrow band to replace to primary. Also has 0-5 volt output for data logger. The touch screen gauge is nice too
http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=WDBDSMAFR_DM6G3

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:28 PM

Fully built motor on my 01 sedan. .20 over Weisco pistons, eagle rods, garrett 60-1 turbo, Cobalt stage 3 (60lb) injectors, walbro 255 and MSD booster pump. Aeromotive regulator on the rail. Port/Polished head, oversize valves, 1.6 rockers etc. I plan on running 20-22 maybe 24 psi. Hoping for 300 wheel. Like said before, the tune is the most important thing. All of my mods are in my profile and build.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Monday, October 20, 2014 8:20 PM
Thanks Vinny! I've read all 18 pages of your build, it made me change a few things to mine. I just did the 3rd gen camaro iat sensor😉. Now I'm working on getting some roller rockers put together, hopefully after that I can try to go tune again😊

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:21 PM
Levi,

Not a problem. Make sure you get the self aligning rockers. I had originally purchased Harland Sharp rockers and ended up not using them because of this. Just a heads up.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I've read the roller rocker post, I just ordered the arp rocker studs today😀, and I think I'm going to go with the crane gold rockers, I think! And from the sounds of it I should get my new valve cover back from Philip next week sometime😀

Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:10 PM
Glad to see its coming along. Lots of LN2 love these days. Love it!

Side note; it probably depends more on your ring gap than anything but you may want to look into some PCV stuff. I was getting a lot of blowby at higher boost pressure (25+) and it was causing oil to start coming out of like everywhere in the motor. I blocked off the port on the intake side of the head and put 2 giant nipples on the valve cover that i routed to a catch can to relieve the pressure. I was blowing out a qt of oil for every few hundred miles before i did this; then oil consumption went to zero immediately.
I dont remember what I gapped my rings at; but I planned on higher boost so I opened them a little.

As for wideband; I ran an innovate LC-1 for a couple years; then went to an MTX-L. The MTX-L was far simpler but both worked great.

My setup really liked being revved to 7000 with the turbo I had and a gt30 is quite similar. It was still pulling like crazy till 7. 7500 (per your profile) I want to hear video of it! (the timing set in mine started to hate me after about 6 months of going that high, something to watch out for)

\"A car just isn\'t a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers.\" -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:56 PM
Ya the pcv system should be done here very soon, I just got the valve cover and rocker studs today😃 I'm not driving it much for now intill I can get the rocker roller set done, I feel like my valves are to noisy!
Attachments
image.jpg (1625k)

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:57 PM
Rocker arm studs😀
Attachments
image.jpg (840k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search