Need advice regarding engine options .. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need advice regarding engine options ..
Thursday, April 23, 2015 9:27 AM
I have a 99 Z24 convertible, currently has approximately 40,000 original miles. It is equipped with the 4 speed auto and the 2.4 TwinCam LD9.

I would seriously like to boost the LD9 output. I actually like the engine, and considering how its been babied ,low mileage,etc, seems like a perfect candidate for boost. Have already added a 2.5" catback exhaust and cold air intake and a carbon fiber induction hood.

Is there any comprehensive how-to guide out there for turbocharging this engine successfully( would prefer turbo)?

I'd be happy if I could just bump this up to 200-230 HP.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Need advice regarding engine options ..
Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:12 PM
z24 topless wrote:I have a 99 Z24 convertible, currently has approximately 40,000 original miles. It is equipped with the 4 speed auto and the 2.4 TwinCam LD9.

I would seriously like to boost the LD9 output. I actually like the engine, and considering how its been babied ,low mileage,etc, seems like a perfect candidate for boost. Have already added a 2.5" catback exhaust and cold air intake and a carbon fiber induction hood.

Is there any comprehensive how-to guide out there for turbocharging this engine successfully( would prefer turbo)?

I'd be happy if I could just bump this up to 200-230 HP.

Thanks for any advice!

First I would track down a 00-02 Z24 as a donor car. I would swap all the electronics from the 00-02 car into the 99. Then you can run the GM re-flash, and have the PCM natively see and add fuel for boost. That being said. You could add a M45 supercharger onto the car, and tune the stock computer fairly well to compensate for the boost with HPTuners. The problem is 95% of the tuners that say they can tune a J-body PCM, flat out CAN NOT.

Since you are in Florida I would ask John Higgin's if he would tune your car. He already has a base file for a 99 auto with a M45 charger on it. I'm not sure if he will tune it, but you need someone to tune it.

200ish+ whp is very doable with an over-spun M45 with a smaller 2.5" supercharger pulley, and an over driven 7" crank pulley. Meth is however needed for cooling, and the correct setup is key. You should see 12ish PSI with this setup. You could go turbo, but that would require a lot of custom parts since no one makes pretty much anything turbo wise for the LD9 anymore. EBAY DOES NOT MAKE ANYTHING EITHER!

I think that covered most of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:12 PM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search