Oil return line question...... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil return line question......
Monday, February 14, 2005 2:27 PM
Im going the hose with barbed fittings for my oil return route...i plan on tapping the block near the oil pan like in paco loco's post showned on this forum somewhere...now..ihave the 2 barbed fittings (1/2" thread to 5/8's barbed) but having problem finding the oil resitant hose...part suppliers like murrays and autozone etc; only have heater hose, i was wondering if i could use braided line with hose clamps on them will that hold up just as good since its oil resistant already...??

If hose clamps would work on the braided line what size of braided line would be equivelent to 5/8s? -10 an? -8? thanks in advance!

Re: Oil return line question......
Monday, February 14, 2005 2:39 PM
I know this is overkill but for my oil feed line (to the turbo) I'm using a 3/8" or 5/16" stainless braided line and using hoseclamps.

(I have a pressure regulator in the line too)

Really those hose clamps will only ever have to hold 75psi max (at least on my engine)

We have hose clamps at work that hold 80psi 10 hours of the day, 6 days a week and have never quit.

As for the 5/8" I really have no idea. If you were using NPT fittings then it would be a lot easier to tell just by that. You'd have to measure the size of the hole on your fitting.

For some reason I think 3/8" is more then enough. (some may argue that it is too much)

<a href="http/www.cardomain.com/id/stevefire23">stevefire23</a>
Monday, February 14, 2005 5:17 PM
ok well the hose clamp question is pretty much answered..since oil return isnt under any type of pressure but gravity it seems from your post that hose clamps will do the trick...

I just gota figured out what size -an hosing is to 5/8ths of a inch..i even have a couple of 1/2" barbs too i can go with..figured 5/8" would better since bigger to drain the oil.
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:32 PM
hose clamps work fine

sig not found
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:02 AM
thanks....

does anyone have a -8 an or -10 an hose laying around where they can measure the ID of the rubber hose for me please???
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:26 PM
i was using -10 on my drain line

either used braided stainless , or the wraped high pressure hose they will take the heat better

i got mine from a local performance shop , auto parts stores wont have it

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:24 PM
i plan on using the stainless braided but wanna buy the one that comes close to 5/8ths ID measurement...
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:46 PM
thats is the -10 i think , the place your getting the braided line from will know that

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:07 PM
Although its not an exact measurement.
AN hose is simple to decode. The dash number is aprox. the inside diameter in 16ths of an inch.
-03 = 3/16
-04 = 4/16 or 1/4
-05 = 5/16
-06 = 6/16 or 3/8
-08 = 8/16 or 1/2
-10 = 10/16 or 5/8
and so on.....

sig not found
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:28 PM
thanks alot!!! ya know thats what i thought...but wasnt for sure..thanks for the info=)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search