with egt gauge, do i still need a wideband o2? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
with egt gauge, do i still need a wideband o2?
Monday, April 11, 2005 4:06 PM
i was looking at a hahn turbo system for my 05 ecotec sunfire, and of course id need some gauges to go with it. an EGT sensor seems like all one would really need to properly adjust the air/fuel mixture. my question is, do i still need a wideband O2 sensor to back the EGT up with an actual numberical value for the ratio? Im used to flying planes... and we just fine tune it with EGT readings.

Re: with egt gauge, do i still need a wideband o2?
Monday, April 11, 2005 4:15 PM

you wont be able to know where your A/F is with a EGT... its just an edjectated guess, the only way you can go even go by just a egt is if you have had your car dynoed and your a/f ratio messured only then will you know where its supposed to be for optium performance with out detinations

so no you cant just use a EGT get the thought out of your head that its the all in one tuning tool wonder ... so yes you need a wideband.... nuff said get used to it boost isnt cheap

Monday, April 11, 2005 4:32 PM
thanks for the info..... and i dont think that its a wonder gauge... haha.

Monday, April 11, 2005 4:46 PM
np
lol i know i was just busting

also getting one will save you trips to the dyno just figuer it a good investment in that sense

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:46 PM
what alot of guys do is make up a table of sorts they map out what thier AFR is at a certain temp and from there they have a guide on what to tune from the temps

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, April 11, 2005 8:06 PM
id get a wideband before i get a egt

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:51 PM
Just a quick question...what does the exhaust gas temp tell you about how to tune it? I understand finding an optimal a/f ratio but what is a good egt?

Still cruisin stock.
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:08 PM
some cars are diff than others, some will run higher egt's, some will run lower egt's. you just gotta get it measured when you know your a/f is right where you want it. and find out what your egt's are right then, and then you can tune accordingly.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:21 PM
I think an egt gauge is a waste of money.You can tune your car to a perfect a/f ratio with a wideband.Why would you want to know the temp of your exhaust?I could give a rats ass how hot my exhaust is.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:44 PM
you wanna know cause as you lean out your exhaust gets hotter. if you think that an EGT gauge is useless you dont know much. the only useless gauge is a NBO2S honestly.

i have an EGT in my car but not installed yet. shortly though...before i go retune at a higher PSI

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:47 PM
Actually,if your tuning your car with just an egt,YOU dont know very much.Of course a NBO2S is useless,if it wasnt, all of us would be tuning our cars with an air/fuel gauge.How do you know what temp your exhaust is supposed to be at for best power?Every car is different.Exhaust size,probe placement etc,will give you a different reading.You do know that if you run too rich,your egt will be high also right?How are you gonna know without a wideband or a trip to the dyno?Like orangez said,you have to have your car dynoed with a wideband to tell you what your optimal egt's should be.Atleast with a wideband you can tune it to to run safe on the street.And if you wanna tune it to squeeze every bit of power out of it,your gonna have to run it on the dyno anyway.Thats why i consider a egt a waste of money.As long as my a/f ratio is good,thats all that im worried about.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:04 PM
i use a WBO2 EVERY time i run on the dyno. no matter what car i go with. but using an EGT gauge is another quick way to check your A/F ratio as well

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search