A few questions on the auto to 5 speed swap - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A few questions on the auto to 5 speed swap
Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:18 PM
I have searched and read anything i could find on this board about this topic, but i still have a few questions about the swap. I have a 99 Z24 with a 4 speed Auto. My car is in Croatia (europe) Everone loves the car there, but the automatic tranny is embarassing. I would like to install a 5 speed izuzu tranny. i will find a donar car to take all the parts from, but my question is, Does the wiring harness HAVE TO be changed, or can i leave my original in. Also what is the best route to take with the computer, have GM program it for a 5 speed, or get a computer out of a 5 speed?
i'm not too worried about my reverse light, i can put that on a switch. Just wondering how many mods are there for the tranny wires and plugs.

Re: A few questions on the auto to 5 speed swap
Saturday, January 29, 2005 10:33 AM
Heh...Your car is in Croatia. Small world I'm from Bosnia. I now live in Vancouver Canada, because of the war there, this is my new home. I can understand how an Automatic would be embarassing over there in Europe, when I visited family in England a few years ago, I didnt see one automatic car...LOL

Anywho I too am doing a tranny swap. But my car is a 97 Cavi with a 2.2 & a 3sp auto. So there isnt a wiring harness. I also work at a GM dealership, the service guys told me to do the swap & find out how the ECU will react. I do have an ECU out of a 96 Sunfire 5spd just incase. But you can get the ECU reflashed. Good luck with your swap... <br>

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 6:13 PM
You can leave the harness there. At least I did for my 95 3 speed auto to 5 speed manual. You'll have to connect (at least on mine) the starter wires that went into the tranny to keep the car from starting unless in Park or Neutral. I was able to use my factory manual to find out what wires were for the reverse lights out of the wires that went to the auto. Also, the other is the VSS speed sensor wires (yellow and purple) and you just connect those wires to the manual connector. I just got a computer from a 5 speed same engine car. It just plugs in. Do you have the write up that i think suncavi wrote a while ago?

Here is a link to it that I have.
click here.

Friday, February 04, 2005 4:51 AM
Well SunCavi is from Bosnia too acctually from Bijeljina (NorthEast-Semberia)!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiii. lol
Hej Ivane, I did all the swaps already that you 2 guys wanna do, well you and I looked for the other guys name, but I know it is NOT Osme. lol Maybe Osman.

I have parts too all the crap necesarry to swap it to 5 speed.
It is really easy there are no tricks about it.
ECU will have to be reprogrammed or just get one from a 2.4L 5 speed with all of your power options, cause if the old car DOESN'T have power windows and your DO when you swap the ECU they won't work. lol I mean the windows.

Wiring you can leave 2.4L auto and just splice a few wires.
Osme you have to get either a 2.4L auto wiring and do the same or a 2.4L 5 speed wiring. Your 2,2 WILL NOT fit in any way.

Well country man if you have any others LIKE what parts do I need?? lol Everyone asks that, they don't understand the complexity of a 5 speed tranny. lol
Ask away, e-mail me at jburic@tampabay.rr.com

Cao kurve. No offense

SunCavi

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Sunday, February 06, 2005 4:54 AM
will a 96 2.2 5 speed fit up to a ecotec

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:05 PM
Tom Manczak wrote:will a 96 2.2 5 speed fit up to a ecotec

no, the eco uses the getrag tranny, i think the last year it would fit is a 99? 2000? anyone know? its also enginer specific, as in that tranny won't bolt to a 2.4L engine, only a 2.2

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search