LSD - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSD
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:07 AM
i posted in performance didnt get many responses

should the lsd for the cobolt work w/ the j's that have the getrag?

Re: LSD
Friday, February 18, 2005 7:42 AM
i may be wrong but i do believe they use the same trans as the saab 9-3 but with dif gear ratios. i would get that one if were you anyway. higher capasity rating.. might have to swap over your FDR though

f23(cav) - f25(saab, cobolt) i think are the numbers

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:55 PM
ahh
ill just stick the six speed in then figure something out

Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:48 PM
Yes the LSD from the cobalt SS (F25) will work in the getrag j-bodies (F23), but the differences between the 2 trannies are far more than just gear ratios.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Fidenza Flywheel '00-'02 2.4 (getrag) $300CAN
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Sunday, February 20, 2005 1:38 AM
^^^^^such as??? i know the redline has longer gears.. i remember car and driver complaing about 2nd gear being too long.. im sure the internals are a little bit more beefy for the extra power.. but its the same bolt pattern. anyone know the part number off the redline or the cobalt for the lsd?
Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:29 AM
Internally it's a completely different design, no parts are interchangeable except for the diff (and naturally the LSD). I looked into it in depth when I was trying to figure out a way to beef up my F23, as I was having syncho/bent shift fork problems.

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:18 AM
well, couldn't you swap the whole damned thing, its an ecotec, so it should go in?

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:02 AM
should

Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:04 PM
mikec2003 wrote:well, couldn't you swap the whole damned thing, its an ecotec, so it should go in?

No idea what the tranny mounts are like on the F25, or the shift linkages, throwout bearing, etc. But yes it should bolt to any ecotec block, getting it to bolt up and work with another chassis may be a different story.

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Monday, February 21, 2005 12:44 PM
Ian Brydon wrote:
mikec2003 wrote:well, couldn't you swap the whole damned thing, its an ecotec, so it should go in?

No idea what the tranny mounts are like on the F25, or the shift linkages, throwout bearing, etc. But yes it should bolt to any ecotec block, getting it to bolt up and work with another chassis may be a different story.

exactly
hopefully i can get the six speed to mate up w/o too much of a hitch

Monday, February 21, 2005 4:17 PM
you say the lsd from the cobalt will fit the getrag in jbodies.....what about the getrag that came with the Quads ????

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:34 AM
scott trent wrote:you say the lsd from the cobalt will fit the getrag in jbodies.....what about the getrag that came with the Quads ????

The older getrag was totally different as well, and wouldn't acept this LSD.

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Monday, April 18, 2005 4:22 PM
well i called quaife
and they said the lsd from the cobolt w/ the f35 will not fork w/ the f23

Thursday, April 21, 2005 7:43 PM
So, is there ANY lsd that will fit a Ecotec J-body? manual or automatic?
Sunday, April 24, 2005 2:12 PM
scott trent wrote:you say the lsd from the cobalt will fit the getrag in jbodies.....what about the getrag that came with the Quads ????

the getrag and the new venture had the Torsen LSD, i have one and have pics in my reg..

also quaife made one for the f23 but i guess it didnt go over well and they stopped making them

Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:17 PM
Jrobz23 wrote:

the getrag and the new venture had the Torsen LSD, i have one and have pics in my reg..

also quaife made one for the f23 but i guess it didnt go over well and they stopped making them

I don't quite understand. Are you saying an LSD from a Chevy Venture will fit the 00-02 LD9 Getrag or are you doing some sort of tranny swap??

Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:45 PM
i am doing the new venture (NVG-T550) swap from the 93-94 quad n bodies, as some others have done. i got a Torsen LSD from an SCX to go with it. im going to put the torsen in the new venture, then in my car. what i was saying is that there are options for the older transmissions. they are rare and $$ but they exist.

the other point i tried to make is that quaife used to make difs for the f23 and you may find them floating around somewhere if you look hard enough.

sorry for the confusion, im not always the best with words.

Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:29 PM
dam it i need that diff for the scx !!!!!!!!!

i got a 92 scx sitting in the driveway , in desprate need of a LSD

Monday, April 25, 2005 11:05 AM
hey dude jenny from highrev at one point and time had one. hit her up. also http://the-race-shop.com/ has been known to dig them up. id contact them as well. this thing took me a few months to get so i hope it doesnt dissapoint me. good luck with your hunt.

Monday, April 25, 2005 12:32 PM
i have a 90 sunbird gt Turbo. I've been told that i can't put a lsd in my factory tranny does anyone know a tranny i could get that would accept a lsd and still bolt up to my ride. If not what else i could do to sole my problem. Thanks for any info
Monday, April 25, 2005 10:37 PM
bleh
im just going to swap trannies for the beefier one and get the lsd too

Monday, April 25, 2005 10:59 PM
Jrobz23 wrote:hey dude jenny from highrev at one point and time had one. hit her up. also http://the-race-shop.com/ has been known to dig them up. id contact them as well. this thing took me a few months to get so i hope it doesnt dissapoint me. good luck with your hunt.

what did you happen to pay for yours ??

if you dont want alot of people to know email it to me , and i wont say a word , i just want a idea of what im lookin at for a price

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:14 AM
hey no probs man i paid $850 for it. id assume it would be about that much. its about what a quaife goes for as well, so that seems to be the going rate for gm fwd lsd's. i have seen them go for as high as $1200 so i think i got a fair deal. its in great shape too. good luck on your hunt.

and to guy with the turbo sunbird, these things came in the hm282 for at least one year (91 scx) as far as i know so i dont see why you cant make it work. also the hm282 and the nvg-t550 are very similar. you should do some more research, dont take my words as completely correct since i havent torn down both and tried it myself. but my opinion is that it prolly will work in both trannies.

heres an old post with some info..

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=13364&t=13364

dauber says his came from a hm-282, and the guy i bought mine from says it came from a new venture. dauber didnt come up with pics to look at and see the differences so at this point im still not sure on everything in that post. good luck man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search