Automatic transmission slipping when downshifting? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Automatic transmission slipping when downshifting?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:28 PM
Hi all;

My fiancee has a 1996 Grand Am with the 2.4L and Auto Transmission. Lately we've noticed that the transmission has been having problems downshifting to 3rd when cruising on the highway. This is usually when we are going up hills or passing someone and we need a little more juice.

It feels like there is something slipping or hesitating in the transmission (almost like a chugging feeling), not letting it disengage into the next gear. This only happens if we are adding a little bit of gas to get it to downshift and it goes away fairly quickly if we step on it.

Auto tranny's are the one area of a car that I know very little of, so I would appreciate any help in diagnosing this problem.

Thanks!

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Re: Automatic transmission slipping when downshifting?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:06 PM
Some of you wise men and women must know what the problem could be here...

- Aristotle

Re: Automatic transmission slipping when downshift
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:47 PM
maybe it could be the tc solenoid inside the trans dying?
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:40 AM
ummm why do u downshift an auto. I know for a fact that it doenst do @!#$ if u upsift it or down shift it. put it in drive and LEAVE it there.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Friday, February 25, 2005 7:55 AM
I dont think that hes actually downshifting the trans, but in a 4 speed auto when you put the pedal to the floor the computer automatically downshifts the trans so you can get back in the powerband to pass.
Friday, February 25, 2005 10:01 AM
Yes, by downshifting, I mean that the car is automatically downshifting as it needs to. It's kinda the whole point of an automatic transmission...

Mike K - Sorry for my ignorance on this issue but what exactly is a tc solenoid and is it something that can be replaced?

- Aristotle

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:58 AM
tc solenoid = Torque Converter Solenoid. Yes it can be replaced but its inside the transmission. Its a pain to get to because you have to remove the side pan (by the drivers wheel) and maneuver it out from behind the k-frame. It helps if you remove the tranny mount so that the tranny is able to sit lower but you have to be careful because there are Shift solenoids at the top of the tranny behind the pan you can rip off very easily (i know from experience lol).
Friday, February 25, 2005 3:08 PM
Thanks Mike!

I appreciate all of your help and I'll look into this as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

- Aristotle

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search