Which clutch is best for my set up. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which clutch is best for my set up.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:36 AM
Ok well i figured i should start looking for a new clutch as my stock one wont hold much longer. I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT with the 5spd. my engine is set up as follows:
- GM supercharger
-2.5" and 2.6" pulleys
-alcohol injection (basically an intercooler, making it possible to hit the 9-10psi range)
-rk sport 4-2-1 header
-custom 2.5" cat back exhaust

Some one with basically the same set up as me dynoed their 02 Cavy with a 6psi pulley on their car and got 201hp at the wheels (only difference was a 62mm throttle body) so i figure i should be in around 215hp at the wheels, and i am trying to figure out what clutch would be best for what i have ( I do not need something thats going to hold 400hp). I don't really plan on going too much higher with the hp... i think the most i will try for it 230-240hp at the wheels. Plus now that i just put $5000 into my car (and i am still in grade 12) i don't have a lot of money to put out for this.

Re: Which clutch is best for my set up.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:39 AM
oh and also what ever clutch you suggest, let me know where you think the best place is to buy it from (a.k.a cheapest place to get it from)
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:34 AM
spec carcustoms.net
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 3:48 PM
it seems like a decent price for a clutch....

what about these two?
ACT Race Clutch Kit With 4-Pad Disc

or

Center force Dual Friction Clutch

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:08 PM
well lets see the act is unsprung so i say no, and centerforce i dont like so i say no to that, ill be running a spec stage 3 with this setup
Engine-
Eagle Forged H-Beam Connecting Rods
Venolia Forged Pistons Overbore .040”
Mantapart Stainless Steel Valves
Mantapart Springs
Mantapart Retainers
Mantapart Bronze Valve Guides
5-Angle Valve Job
Gasket Matched Port & Polish
Brand New Gm Crank
2.3l Hybrid Cams
Clevite 77 Main & Rod Bearings
All Internals Balanced
Car Customs Upper/Lower Engine Mount
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
AC Delete Pulley
Fuel System-
RC Engineering Injectors 320cc
Casper Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Venom High-Flow Fuel Rail
Apex S-AFC
Cartech Billet FMU
Drive Train-
Car Customs Front / Rear Transmission Mounts
SPEC Billet Aluminum Flywheel
SPEC Stage III Clutch Kit
Intake-
Gm Supercharger
Pulley Boys Qwikchange Pulley System w/ 2.6” Pulley
Exhaust-
High-Flow Cat
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:16 PM
alright.. yea i was looking and $400cdn isn't too bad for a clutch...
also dan wieland may i suggest one thing for your set up... if want to go any more then 6psi on your supercharger you will need either an Alcohol Injection system or water injection.... i have seen with my own eyes a gm supercharger on a 2002 cavy run the same hp with the 6psi pulley as the 8psi pulley...so for 8-10psi you need this kit. If you want more info i got plenty of info about on alcohol injection kits for our cars... and i have worked with one personally on our other car.
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:41 AM
Centerforce Dual Friction stay away from.

SPEC stage II should be fine. I have a stage III I like it but if i had to do it again i would get a stage II some people with Superchargers are running SPEC II or ACT (not the race clutch)

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:12 AM
You don't need the ACT race clutch, when the ACT street clutch is fine. The street clutch holds up to 340 ft/lbs of TQ.

I am with everyone else, stay away from Centerforce. Also Clutchmasters Stage 3 will work, but they are a little pricey

Jason
99 Z24
#25 to register on the Org !!
www.newdawncustoms.com
Johnny Mack Turbo Systems
Engineered Performance
Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:42 AM
Jason McElvy wrote: Also Clutchmasters Stage 3 will work, but they are a little pricey

yes there are way to much for their clutchs. i just put a stage 3 in a 2005 sti at work and the cluch was like $900
Friday, February 25, 2005 4:42 PM
i have the centerforce dual firction clutch in my car and i love it. it isnt any stiffer than your stock one and i can race on it all night and pop it as much as i want and it doesnt get hot like others. it is as strong at the end of the night as it was in the begining and i run the piss out of my car. i recommend it with two thumbs up!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search