Any one use an Engine Transverse?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any one use an Engine Transverse??
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:18 PM
Did anyone use an engine transverse when they changed thier clutch? I got one from my boces teacher, and I was just curious where you put the supports on the motor? Do I have to change my slave cylinder when I change my clutch?

Re: Any one use an Engine Transverse??
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:21 PM
Never mind about the slave cylinder.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:32 PM
Consensus opinion appears to be that you don't need one.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=16462&t=16289

I'll know how right that is soon enough. I am disassembling a trany myself. The typical GM factory assembly hoist mount appears to be under the air intake snorkel at the front drivers side corner of your engine. Its a rather large metal bracket with a hole for a chain. There is usually something on the opposite corner as well.

The trick appears to be to tip the front of the engine down to put the trany back on. I think that my car has been jacked up too high to effectively use the floor jack to tip/raise the engine, so I am probably going to have to use some 4X4's crudely nailed together with the floor jack mounted on the bumper or top rad support for leverage to make a pseudo-adjustable "engine transverse".

-also a proud F-body owner, but not so sure about the J-body yet, especially since the worthless POS is taking up the precious Zedder winter storage space while I am doing this - and its snowing!
Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:04 PM
Thanks, I saw the bracket with the whole, but didnt think it would be strong enough for the engine but I will use the stand just to be sure nothing happens.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search