Getrag Trans Fluid Question - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag Trans Fluid Question
Monday, December 20, 2004 10:40 AM
ok, my owners manual says to use dexron mercron III auto trans fluid in my 5spd manual getrag trans. My question is.. is there anything out there better for our getrags than what the manufacturer suggests...

I remeber a while back there was a post about this and after it was all said and done the regular dexron mercron III that the owners manual suggests was the favorite.

so has anything changed since then? is there anything new on the market? maybe a full synthetic or something?

over the holiday weekend im going to change the fluid since I have about 16,000 miles on it now and was wondering what to replace it with.

Thanx in advance everyone

laters

<br>

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.

Re: Getrag Trans Fluid Question
Monday, December 20, 2004 10:55 AM
I hear some people have luck with Redline fluids. There was a huge post on a guy trying like 5 or 6 different fluids in his tranny, and which ones worked best. I'll see if I can find it...

<br>

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, December 20, 2004 10:57 AM
Monday, December 20, 2004 11:13 AM
thanx man.. i think thats the one i was refering to but idk for sure.. deffinatley a good and informative thread.. thanx again man.

btw... hows the weather in Marinette? I used to live in Crivitz.. im sure you know where that is.. lol

laters

<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 11:26 AM
LOL, 3-6" of snow today, and going to be snowing all week 12 degrees yesterday and not much warmer today, I gotta find my sisters snowmobile and take advantage of the great white north...

<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 11:47 AM
lol!!! I hear ya on that.. I sold my sled when I moved down here.. I miss it right about now... we are supposed to get 2-4" here today but so far only a few flurries have fallen and its like 16 degrees...

next time up in that area I will try and contact you.. it wont be till summer

thanx again

later

<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 12:12 PM
I might be livin in GB by then, but get a hold of me anyway, I'm always up for somethin.

<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 12:42 PM
I drained 2qts of the stock @!#$ and put in some SyncroMesh, goodbye "pennies in a can" noise. It's been a lot better sounding so far, no difference in shifting though.

<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 3:38 PM
^^^ thanx i will have to look in to that a lil more

later yall

<br>

Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:47 PM
B&M Trickshift worked great for me, as did Amsoil synthetic ATF. Shifter feels like its "greased" now. <br>

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 7:16 AM
thanx!

<br>

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:01 PM
i use synchromesh as well

96 Sunfire, 2.4L Twin Cam 5 Spd, estimated 180hp
Thursday, February 24, 2005 2:32 AM
pensoi makes a gear oil that is the same as the synchromesh but is like $5 a quart insted of $12 at a gm dealer
Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:31 PM
used 2 quarts of Mobil Synthetic ATF and it feels smooth. i've used B&M TrickShift regular and synthetic, and synchromesh fluid. not much difference in my opinion.

Peace Out!!!
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:03 AM
I got a 4T40E tranny and it doesn't like to shift to second gear in the mornings because im guessing its too cold... Usually about 30F Degrees. What would you recommend for new fluid? Mobil Synthetic? I live in Nebraska, we have both ends of the spectrum... Cold ass Winters and Hot ass Summers... Any Advice?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search