Brand new clutch installed and possible problems?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brand new clutch installed and possible problems??
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:21 AM
Today I got a brand new clutch installed by a transmission shop and the guy who installed it told me that it might slip during it's breaking in period..........okay...........This is the problem that I encountered .......When I'm in first gear and start to go then press on the clutch to switch to 2nd gear, all of a sudden the clutch only goes halfway down when I step on it and the clutch feels like it is hitting a brick wall.........it happened a couple of times already....then when it happens and I let go of the clutch and press on it again everything goes back to normal.........I think that the clutch is working itself out......any thoughts on this?????? Also, I replaced a stock clutch on my 2002 Cavalier Ecotec, I can totally tell that there is a major difference.......with downshifting cause on my old clutch when I downshift it pulls you towards the front when dropped to 2nd gear going about 45 miles and with this new one it barely does that.....why is that...also this new clutch is alot smoother though...........thanx

Re: Brand new clutch installed and possible problems??
Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:26 AM
weird. i dont think that should be happening. i dont know how to help you but im listening. im replacing my clutch as we speak.

well not really right now.

Peace Out!!!
Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:56 AM
Never heard of that happening. Does it make any strange sounds? Also I would recommend just letting the clutch out into second gear at 45mph....enough of that abuse and you'll proable where out a syncro. Try rev matching your gears. For instance, if you are doing 45 mph in 3rd gear and say the rpms are at about 3000 rpms, when you down shift into 2nd gear the rpms are going to need to be around 4,000 or 4500 rpms. SO what you do is when you press the clutch in you while you are shifting from 3rd to 2nd you blip the throttle so that your rpms go up so that when you let the clutch out in 2nd the rpms are there and it's real smooth instead of how you are doing it and feeling like your going to go throught the windshield. The reason your new clutch isn't sending you threw the windshild when you downshift like that is because it's proable slipping. Take it easy on your clutch till you have atleast 500 miles on it. I wouldn't recommend shifting above 4000 rpms. What kind of clutch did you get? stock or aftermarket?

Saturday, March 05, 2005 1:44 PM
Nope, it does't make any strange sounds........it does that once in a while when I'm shifting to 2nd gear, my clutch would "feel like it locks up" or when I step on it it "feels like I'm hitting a brick" ...........but for the most part it is nice........It is stock 2002 cavalier ecotec.....It's probably just working itself out.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:43 PM
since we have the same GETRAG tranny, i am gonna have to say that it is NOT normal. i drove my car for about 30 mins after i was done and nothing like that happened to me.

first, i would make sure they actually bled the clutch fluid. i bet you they didnt do it, or not properly. my clutch felt considerably lighter than before but it works great. my clutch engages almost at the floor, which is really really nice. it used to engage about two thirds from the floor.

you should go back to the tranny shop and tell them to make sure they bled the clutch fluid correctly. also they may have messed up the clutch acuator. tell them they need to fix it or you will take it to another shop and have them pay for it.

btw, how much was your bill?

Peace Out!!!
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:44 PM
oh yah, it was a pain in the butt at some points cuz of the lack of proper tools, but at least we had air tools. wow, sooooooooooooooooooo much easier.

Peace Out!!!
Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:22 PM
$925 was the price and I will take it back in on Monday...
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:03 AM
Sounds like a problem with the throwout bearing.

Beat it like it owes you money
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:08 PM
I took it back to shop today, and the guy took it for a test drive.and thank god it happened while he took it for a spin..........the problem is the metal clip that keeps coming loose from the clutch line and he said's that when the clip comes loose the clutch or brake fluid won't be albe to flow correctly, causing the clutch to lock up.......when he tried to push the clip in, it didn't give.....so he the manager eventually ended up breaking the end of the line and he'll have to replace it for free..........Boy was he pissed........he called his supplier and that said it has to come with a brand new slave cylinder and it'll be $300 just for that..........He was even pisser when he knew that he was going to lose even more money outa his pocket..........he should of done it right the first around
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:09 AM
If they couldn't get the little metal clip off that holds the clutch line onto the throwout bearing assemble they are retards. That clip just pushes on there....and if it wasn't on right you were proable lossing fluid too. Oh well...their problem now that they broke it off completely.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:03 AM
They couldn't get clipped in and eventually used pliers and a hammer to try to get it in there and then broke the plastic holder that connects to the clutch reservior.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search