Getrag Tranny whine...annoying... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag Tranny whine...annoying...
Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:14 PM
I have a 2003 LS Sport manual and I noticed around 23000 miles, the tranny started whining around 2k-3k rpms, and then goes away above or below those rpms. Is this bad or is this normal? It's not a loud whine, but it is noticable with the radio off.

I've heard of the rattling noises in Getrags before, but I don't know about a whine. Would a different tranny fluid help?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Drive it like you stole it.

Re: Getrag Tranny whine...annoying...
Monday, March 14, 2005 10:59 PM
hey man i have a 2000 cavy and my does the same thing. im running a thicker motor oil in my tranny like 10w-30 and it runs supurb. maybe that helps.
Monday, March 14, 2005 11:15 PM
Mine started doing that and I was happy. Every GM that I can remember ever being in has done that. I finally heard my Cavalier do it and I was like "shes all growed up now". I tried not to cry . ...

My 2k3 Chevy | Nebraska Region SCCA
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 3:55 AM
gm's fix for the noise is some Saturn Gear lube......... if it anoys you, go in, and tell them to put it in.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:28 PM
Mine has always had a whine at low speeds in about those rpms since day 1 with 8 miles on her... Its more like a low whistle and a whine LOL....

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 11:05 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:gm's fix for the noise is some Saturn Gear lube......... if it anoys you, go in, and tell them to put it in.

That Saturn fluid is terrible for cold climates, makes shifting very hard when cold. I've tried the B&M trickshift synthetic ATF, and it made shifting super smooth, really changed the feel of the tranny, although mine still made gear rattle noises. Even after it's 2nd rebuild in 100,000kms it still rattles the same as always.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search