those with the B&M Shiftplus, when do you "shift"? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
those with the B&M Shiftplus, when do you "shift"?
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:37 AM
I got my shiftplus, and it's great. everyone with an auto should get one *G*

anyway, I'm kinda new to the game... and don't really know the best "timings" or whatever... or when to let off the gas and punch it again to let the tranny shift.

Somewhere between 5000 and 6000 for 1st to 2nd feels best to me I think, I just can't pin point it. and I don't have a clue when to do it between 2nd and 3rd, etc...

thanks for any pointers

Re: those with the B&M Shiftplus, when do you "shift"?
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:37 AM
forgot to mention I have an 04 cav ecotec
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:32 AM
are you manually shifting your automatic trans? IF so thats kinda a waste. Your computer does a better job than you ever will.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:04 AM
wow that sounds degrading lol

nah, i don't manually shift my auto. It's just that when you're at WOT, the transmission won't shift until you let off the gas.

the way i've been doing it ... from a stop, punch the gas, get around 5500rpms, let off (tranny shifts) and punch it again.

I was just curious if anyone else has any other methods they want to share ... like if you rev to 3000 before launch or anything like that.
Re: those with the B&M Shiftplus, when do you "shi
Friday, March 11, 2005 1:03 PM
mine shifts under full throttle , and even my friends 04 that i put 1 on shifts at full throttle

which is about 6400 rpm

Friday, March 11, 2005 2:01 PM
I start from the number one on the transmission on my 05 sunfire (automatic), just messing around though. I never let off the gas I just shift it when it gets to high RPMs........otherwise it makes a noise and stops accelerating.....the best time i ever got at the track was without manually shifting. When you just leave it in D and hit the gas its a lot faster, no down time.

How much of a difference did your B&M Shiftplus make? Time? and how the car feels when you drive it?? I might buy one soon.

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, March 11, 2005 5:16 PM
never manual shift it .... that is ridiculous...............put it in third hold down the brake with your left foot, then gradually press the gas about 3000 rpms.... when its time to go! let your foot off the brake and gas to the floor and you should never shift!!!
Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:50 AM
yeah i know it will eventually shift up around 6400+ rpms, but that seems really high to me...

it feels like it pulls hardest if I slightly let off the gas at around 5500 rpms, it changes, and i gun it. this is how I got my tires to chirp shifting to 2nd...

Peppers, thanks for that information. I learned something new today

and to all you guys, i'm not talking about shifting with the shifter, i'm talking about letting the transmission shift itself by letting off the throttle slightly...
Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:27 AM
Does any one know what the part number on that shiftplus because i am bidding on one on ebay and it says that it does not apply for the 03 ecotec motor just wondering were you guys got yours
Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:19 PM
B&M Shiftplus 70380 it will not list your car as being compatible.

the shiftplus is for us that have an automatic transmission. I got mine off ebay for pretty cheap ... pretty simple install, just 2 wires.

This thread will tell you all about it, how to install, pics, etc.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=16751&t=4376#16751

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960467725
that's an example of what you're looking for.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 1:34 PM
Do these work on the three speed auto as well 95 sunfire 2.2

Help me out over on redline forums, i need it...my s/n is atf1987 if it asks

Sunday, March 13, 2005 1:03 AM
^^ I don't think so...

I got my B&M from JDMcav.. I've gotten on it like 5-6 times since I installed it, but full throttle shifts feel like the way to go.. Completely stock at the moment...

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Sunday, March 13, 2005 11:14 AM
it works on the 4spd auto only

and it is for the trucks and camaro's , but it does work on our cars

Sunday, March 13, 2005 3:02 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM cav sedan™)]mine shifts under full throttle , and even my friends 04 that i put 1 on shifts at full throttle

which is about 6400 rpm

thats maybe the best thing to do. i have a theory that if you hold out a little longer, that when your car shifts, it falls into a higher RPM. exp:

1st -5500rpm [shift] 2nd - 3500rpm
1st -6400rpm [shift] 2nd - 4500rpm

just fool around a little bit. and you dont want to be cherping 2nd either. just my 2cents

One of the few, one of the proud, one of the Jersey J's. 6-14-04.
CarDomain
Monday, March 14, 2005 7:27 AM
Peppers z24 wrote:never manual shift it .... that is ridiculous...............put it in third hold down the brake with your left foot, then gradually press the gas about 3000 rpms.... when its time to go! let your foot off the brake and gas to the floor and you should never shift!!!

If you do this a tranny cooler is a good idea. This is not good on the torque converter especially if you do it time after time. Holding the brake and the gas to "launch" creates a lot of heat which is a auto tranny's enemy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search