auto transmission Q.... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto transmission Q....
Thursday, March 17, 2005 9:04 PM
i have a 97 2.2 ohv with the 4t40e tranny. i need to change my filter and fluid. but i have no tranny dipstick. so how do i know if i put enough tranny fluid in? any help????

Re: auto transmission Q....
Friday, March 18, 2005 5:15 AM
I know if you put to much oil in the access drips out, and in a few days it will be at the right level. That what i did with one of my older cars that needed a tranny oil change. I think there is a line on the pan that you have to fill the oil up to. Our you could read the manual and find out how much oil the tranny takes

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Friday, March 18, 2005 6:46 AM
ok i was just reading my owners manual for capacities for the tranny. and it says the 4 speed auto is not owner changeable for the fluid. i have never done this on my car before ( my mistake i have never had it changed at all on my car.) anyways i just need to know how i do it. i have a chiltons manual but its at my work and i dont fell like driving all the way down there to get it unless i absolutely have too. any help??
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:16 AM

With the transmission sitting level (important)... There's a check valve at the front of the transmission (toward front of the car. You can get to it by reaching under). Undo that bolt and any excess fluid will leak out. When fluid level is at the bottom of the hole, close it up and it's good.

I busted the transmission pan when I hit a curb a month ago so I had to replace the pan and then replace the transmission oil. It took about 5 quarts for my situation (there was still a few quarts inside). So keep in mind that wasn't a full flush and refill... which I understand you can't do at home.

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:53 PM
plug on side of trans near the bottom passenger side. Idle car with adequate amount of fluid. remove plug. fill til fluid comes out.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search