*New Axel...lil different..need HELP!! Have pics* - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
*New Axel...lil different..need HELP!! Have pics*
Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:07 PM
As some have read before, auto zone and advanced auto had both ordered me in a remanufacured drivers side axel for my 2000 2.4 getrag. Both axels from both places were not the right axel at all (part number 9464 i believe). That part number was listed for all 5 speeds from 2000-2004. So we checked the computer and they had a different number listed for the 1999 5 speeds obviously since they used the isuzu tranny. Well got that the other day and took out the bad one out of my car and put them side by side to see how close they are. Well both have 34 splines on the end that go into the tranny. Only different is the new one is about 3/4inch shorter but if you compress the stock one alittle bit they are the same. Another note, the rod between the two cv's is not as thick on the new compared to the stock. The part number from auto zone on this one is #8579. Basically i want to konw if this one will work dispite the differences? If this one won't...my last resort is to order a brand spanking new one for $400 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com unless somebody else can order a remanufactured one and it really be the right one.

Being that my car is apart right now I will check back in 1 hour and if no one has any ideas i'm going to just put the stock one back in and limp on that till i figure something else out.

Re: *New Axel...lil different..need HELP!! Have pics*
Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:26 PM
yo, i work at advance and ive only seen this problem once, but that was a mispackaged axle. I dont know the answer to your dilemma but i know they list a few part #'s for the J's. Some auto some standard. Ok man good luck. Lata.

98 3800 series II supercharged engine, wiring harnesses, both computers, gauge cluster, HUD, and driver info center for sale. Email for more info
Not now, but someday!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:40 PM
Yeah, if everything else looks right. Then that axle will work.
The axle should extend a little like you said and the boot looks a little bigger on the new unit so there is less distance between the boots.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:23 AM
Yeah....the boots don't really concern me since those are just larger then the stock one's. Main concern is the smaller diameter of the axel between those cv's. Last think i would want to do is put that axel in there and it be weaker then the stock and snap on me. Not sure if i'll have time today or not but i'm going to call the manufacture that supplys auto zone and see if the part number was an error for the 2000-2004 so hopefully the problem can be fixed and also so others can get the right axel. Thanks everyone though.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:52 AM
Contact www.driveshaftshop.com

I was having the same problem you were. Advanced and Auto Zone couldn't get me the right one. Instead of getting raped for another stock one for $400. You might as well get a set of Stage2 axles for $600. Or one for $300. You can always get the other later.

Then when you start upping the power later on, you'll already be one step ahead. Very Nice Axles!

Good Luck

Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:27 PM
I see your point and have considered that allready but correct me if i am wrong...didn't you have to get a machine shop to make a sprocket for your abs for the performance axels?

Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:57 PM
Yo travis...i didn't realize that was you till i checked your profile but let me know if you had to get the sprocket put on or if they can be ordered with them on allready.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:39 AM
i tried to get a axle for my 96 at vato' zone and it was a completely different one. Part #"s matched on the computer and the box. ahh well.

good luck

Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:59 AM
No Sprockets that I know of for me, I don't even think he asked me if I had ABS. Doesn't matter, I don't have ABS anyway.

If you give him a call he always picks up right away and is very helpful. I think you'll be good to go, def. your best bet.

Good Luck.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 7:43 PM
What no ABS? I thought they all came stock ABS. well my base model 96 did anyway. My shafts i just ordered from the driveshaft shop come w/ ABS Rings. Lata

Not now, but someday!
Re: *New Axel...lil different..need HELP!! Have pi
Monday, March 28, 2005 7:09 PM
not 04+ there abs is optional

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search