Whats the Torque on the Flywheel & Pressure plate - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whats the Torque on the Flywheel & Pressure plate
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:54 AM
Whats the best way to tighten the bolts for the flywheel (flywheel to crank) if you dont have access to a airgun. How do you keep the flywheel from turning when Torquing them...And what is the Toruqe measurments for the flywheel and pressure plate.

Do i need to use thread lock and what colour????

I know its a mouthfull of questions, but hope someone could answer them

Re: Whats the Torque on the Flywheel & Pressure pl
Thursday, March 31, 2005 12:44 AM
I dont use a thread locker on the flywheel, i DO however use a pipe thread sealent (i THINK its Loktite 503 in a white bottle, i'll get the number for sure in the morning for you) you have to hold the fly wheel from turning to torque it, you cant torque it with an impact btw if you have a helper get them to hold it by hand (hard) or use a large screw driver in the starter gear against a peice of metal (becareful you can f**k a tooth up)

now according to my manual here all 1995-02 models are as follows:
2.2L 52-55Ft.LBS
2.4L 20FT.LBS + 45* (if you work that out its going to be around 55ft.lbs also)

Pressure plate to flywheel bolts
2.2L AND 2.4L is 12-15Ft.LBS (you can use some blue loktite here if you like, most of the time i use the same pipe thread sealent)

Not sure which year you have as you never stated so i just chose the 95-02 years.....

Thursday, March 31, 2005 12:49 AM
to stop the flywheel from turning put a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth and lock it into the tranny alignment pegs or other sutable area (use a tranny bolt if need be to pry against) this does take two people to do, or a lot of talent since you have to hold the screwdriver and torque the bolts at the same time.

Friday, April 01, 2005 8:16 PM
If you put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and turn it till it comes in contact with the frame it can be done easily. That's how I did it since i had to do my clutch job myself and didn't have anyone else to help me. Also, if you might have to grind the your socket head down alittle bit if it is bevels at all, you'll know what i'm talking about if your socket keeps slipping off of the flywheel to crank bolts since they are so shallow.

Friday, April 01, 2005 9:01 PM
Quote:

I dont use a thread locker on the flywheel,

When you buy new bolts from GM they come with blue thread locker on it already . . .

Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:10 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:
Quote:

I dont use a thread locker on the flywheel,

When you buy new bolts from GM they come with blue thread locker on it already . . .

if its already got it, roll with it *cheers*

Saturday, April 02, 2005 4:20 AM
I had blue thred lock on my flywheel bolts. Torque at 22lbs + 45°. the result? another tear down. Flywheel bolts came loose and the flywheel started to sing badly. So now I torque them at 60lbs and red thread lock.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, April 02, 2005 12:47 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:I had blue thred lock on my flywheel bolts. Torque at 22lbs + 45°. the result? another tear down. Flywheel bolts came loose and the flywheel started to sing badly. So now I torque them at 60lbs and red thread lock.

Stock flywheel or aftermarket one? If aftermarket one did you use any kind of washers?

Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:37 PM
It was on the stock one. I now have a star washer between the flywheel and the head of the bolt plus red locktite.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search