95 auto - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 auto
Saturday, April 02, 2005 5:26 PM
hey i have a 95 sunfire gt with 4spd auto and reciently when i put it in drive or reverse it makes a clunk than goes i was wondering whats happening because i have 114k miles on it ... and what tranny could i replace in there since its a 2.3 engine

Re: 95 auto
Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:31 PM
What you probably are hearing is the motor knocking around because the mounts are worn out. Open you hood and watch your engine through the cowl and see if the motor is rocking up to the point you hear the clunking sound. Usually it is the lower torque-arm/motor mount, often reffered to as the dog bone because of its shape. the rubber bushings in each end get worn out and can no longer stop the motor from rocking and the motor knocks against the mount.

The lower mount is easy to replace. Just put the car up on ramps or jack the front end up and put it on jack stands. unbolt the old one and bolt the new one in. Don't be affraid to put some muscle behind it, i.e. you may need to be forceful pulling or pushing/beating them in and out, especially if you get the polyurethane mount.

BTW if you want quicker torque transfer get the urethane mount, but note it will transfer alot of engine vibration to the rest of the car. If you want the stock smooth, soft, quiet ride get a stockreplacement mount.

Thursday, April 14, 2005 4:14 PM
well now my traction controll light is always on meaning its off and wont come back on than when i downshifted going down a hill it made the clunk noice. and thaaaaan when i go over 60 or so and slow down and start to go again it stays in 3rd like it wont go into overdrive idk whats up...

Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:09 PM
Thats more than the mounts, time to take it to a reputable shop.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search