Tranny Noise - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tranny Noise
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:50 PM
Hey guys, first time posting here. I have a 01 cavalier, 2200, 5 speed getrag. I have a very annoying whine coming from the tranny, if i take my foot off the gas it goes away. It's loudest in 4th gear @ 40-50 kp/h, and getting pretty freakin loud, i can hear it with the fan on high and the stereo on. It only started getting loud recently (just when i was getting used the getrag rattles )
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here who has this problem had any luck getting it fixed. Its definitely not normal...i can live with the rattles but this whine is really getting to me . I changed the fluid and added 2.5L of mobile 1 synthetic, helped the shifting a bit but never did anything for the whine noise.

Thanks guys

2001 Cavalier Sedan, 2200 5speed Getrag
Newfoundland, Canada

Re: Tranny Noise
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:58 PM
case may be cracked. go to the damn shop and get it checked out before it falls off your car. lol

Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:05 AM
lol...yeah, iam going to drop a tranny shop and see what they think....thanks for the reply
Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:01 AM
My bet would be on a bad bearing inside the tranny. But i'm not there to hear. Bearings make a really annoying noise when the race gets pitted.
Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:03 PM
Whinning comes from gear wear. And you should be using ATF.

^^Home made sig^^ ghetto, I know. http://members.cardomain.com/blackoutfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search