tranny identification - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranny identification
Monday, April 04, 2005 9:05 PM
my 95 auto is a 3spd that i know of. the gauge cluster says PRND21... but I have first, second, 3rd, then OD... which people tell me classifies as the 4spd auto. how the hell do i identify which tranny it actually is? where's the part number located?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Re: tranny identification
Monday, April 04, 2005 9:08 PM
its a 4speed
but the part id should be on top of the tranny
at least on the getrags it is so iassume most of them are

Monday, April 04, 2005 9:20 PM
and i'm looking for, in that case, 4T04E right?

Monday, April 04, 2005 9:38 PM
yea

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:31 AM
thank you much. i guess i'll find out this afternoon. if it IS the 4spd then what's the best way to get the tranny to hold about 275 whp?

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 10:06 AM
dunno
i hear they can hold a good bit on their own

go search the tranny forum im sure there is a post or 2 about it there

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:27 AM
I've been told that on stock parts (half shafts, trany, even engine internals) are good for 300hp
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 3:05 PM
that makes me happy. i'm considering trying to work out a manual body and a ratchet shifter

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:46 AM
ok couldn't find it. i saw a lot of serial numbers and no part number. is there a specific digit in the VIN that could tell me which tranny it would be?

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 3:44 PM
cant you just drive and see how many times it shifts?

Anti-Forums | ClubCav Mod | Local Forum
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:13 PM
TwISteR (F*ck yourself Racing) wrote:cant you just drive and see how many times it shifts?

Thats actually a very bad way to tell, since the TC locking up can feel like its shifting. During an easy acceleration, my car will feel like its shifting about 5 times.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:47 PM
The 3T40 doesn't have over drive. By what you're listing as far as your dash/shifter indicators show, it will be the three speed.
To make sure, on the top of your tranny will be a metal tag. This tag will have a 3 or 4 digit code in large print. Post this code and I'll give you the info on this tranny. BTW I only have the info on the 3T40/TH125C, '82 to present. No scanner to post the charts, besides it's four full pages in one book, a full chapter in another, and the downloaded catalogs from two differnt tranny parts catalogs. I could find the same info on the 4T40E also, just take longer.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 8:26 AM
ok madjack i'll get it this afternoon. and i am guessing it IS a 4spd considering my OD went out basically. the OD lockup solenoid on the TC was bad so it's unplugged. basically my car would stay in OD, come off the highway, and still be in OD instead of say 2nd to start out from a stop... idle would fall too low to run, car would die. and even right now, it doesn't like to go into OD.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search