Throw out bearing? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Throw out bearing?
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:13 AM
I think all transmissions are very similar and hopefully i can get some general help on this. But i have a 91 Talon TSI as my daily driver (my cavi is my show car). and it seems like the transmission is acting alittle funny.

When i push it into first gear. It vibrates and grinds alittle......It almost the same feeling you get when u try to push it into gear without putting in the clutch......Like i don't mind paying the money to get it fixed.....but the shops say they can't give me an estimate would physically taking out the trans which runs about $500 starting.

Now the vibrations and grind for the most part goes away once the trans warms up....and this vibes and whatever doesn't happen all the tiem...just every one in a shift.

Now could this be a throw out bearing or possibly a clutch probelm?

Any feedback would help out alot.......and yes i know its for a different car but i would imagine the symtoms on one car would be very simialr to that of another.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Throw out bearing?
Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:32 PM
you do have enough fluid in your clutch resavor right?..you may want to consider trying to bleed the system

Monday, April 18, 2005 9:58 PM
If you've been loosing fluid in the clutch resoviour then its your throw out bearing more than likely. It leaks clutch fluid (brake fluid) onto the clutch and causes it to slip. It will go away after you burn it all off.

Now ive driving a car with this problem for over 2 years and not seen any horrible side effects other than the ones mentioned. That said I only let it go for so long becuse i don't care about this car (not the Cavalier).

1999 Calvalier Z24
15.7@90.2mPh
Monday, April 18, 2005 10:28 PM
Thanks alot.......i have been leaking fluid on my driveway for awhile....and i am unsure if its oil cause its coming from the trans area.....maybe the pieces of the puzzle are comign together..

Thanks for all the help!

and i,m not worried about changing the bearings until i can't shift anymore....LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search