First post in a LONG time. Need Opinions - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
First post in a LONG time. Need Opinions
Thursday, April 14, 2005 4:35 PM
First of all, good to be back after a 3 year stint with a civic lol. NOW, My '98 Z24 has a knocking sound when travelling at a constant speed. Accelerate slightly, it stops. Take your foot off the gas, it stops. Push in the clutch, it stops. Is it possible this is a noisy throwout bearing? It seems when there is any kind of tension IE slowing down/accelerating it is gone. I have noticed since I purchased the car that there is sometimes a knock at idle in neutral that disappears again when i push in the clutch. Checked out the front end today, everything is A.O.K. I am going to replace both front wheel bearings, as I can do so cheaply being a NAPA employee, but I don't think it is the bearings, something tells me it is a problem with the gearbox. Anybody ever had this experience? Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

Re: First post in a LONG time. Need Opinions
Friday, April 15, 2005 10:12 AM
Anybody?
Friday, April 15, 2005 1:13 PM
Yea, I'd definitely say throw out bearing. Mine used to do it too. I would really notice it when the car was sitting idling. I wouldn't mess with it until it's leaking fluid and won't work anymore unless the noise really bothers you, but that's just my opinion.
Monday, April 18, 2005 7:36 AM
Thanks for the input man. Anyone else have ay thoughts?
Monday, April 18, 2005 9:27 AM
dont' waste your money on bearings. that is a buck fifty you could spend elsewhere. I can all but guarntee that it is the throwout. Mine does it, and my buddies 99 z does it too. nothing to fear. It is just floating around when there isn't pressure on hydraulic part of it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search