Ease of install of poly getrag trans mounts?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ease of install of poly getrag trans mounts??
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:36 PM
Well i have a set of the poly tans mounts for my '01 5 speed on the way from Car Customs.
I have axcess to a lift where i work and i had my car up in the air today to check out the motor and trans mount positions since i will be doing both along with a B&M short shifter the day i get them. I'm curious what is really involved in replacing the tranny mounts. What if anything needs to be pulled down to get into the mounts. do i need to support the tranny on a tranny jack whil i have one of the mounts out? The front mount doesnt look too bad of a job, but that rear mount looks like a b#$%^! Any advice is appreciated!! pictures welcome of course.

I have acess to air tools, a lift, and a bunch of other goodies in the lube shop i work in. Is this something me and my co-workers can do? or should i leave this to a pro?

Re: Ease of install of poly getrag trans mounts??
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:20 PM
they come with instructions,
but front is easy and rear is a pita

you need to remove the inner fender well cover and the washer fluid bottle
i forget what else

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 10:48 AM
Nick,
You should be able to do it with no problems. Just remember do one at a time dont pull both off at the same time and try to do it

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 3:25 PM
Thanks Slappy and Karo, i'll let you all know how it turned out. maybe i can do a pictorial of the install step by step and post it here for any one else that may need it. I'm doing the tranny mounts, upper and lower engine mounts, and the B&M shifter. I'll do a step by step with pics for all 3 if anyone is interested.
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:57 AM
I have just ordered the tranny mounts from Car customs yesterday and the engine mounts a week ago.. If u still plan on doing that; I am very interested in it. I have a 2002 cav. 2200 engine.

Off subject, I ordered tranny mounts from Car customs 3-30, and ordered engine mounts from high rev 3/23. I wonder which will get to me 1st... My bet is on Car customs.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:23 AM
The mounts are awesome, but a pain to install. Take your time and support the engine with a jack. The bolts are a lot easier to get out and you won't break anything.

Also, the rear mount is a b!tch, but if you remove the brake distribution block and the whole intake system, it makes it semi-easy to get to.

To get the mounts in, I didn't use a vice. I just took a little dishwashing soap, lubed up the mount, and stepped on it to push it into the housing. no problems.

Good luck.

Drive it like you stole it.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 5:46 AM
I finally installed my transmission mounts. The install wasn't to bad. Took me about 2 hours. I found it easier to move the brake cluster and air box. The mounts are really nice. There is recognizable change in shifting, especially at higher RPM. It seems to be more precise at the shift points. Thanks for the info in the earlier posts.

Now if I could just get my engine mounts, I can continue on with other modifications.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:53 AM
Well you did the exact opposite of me man. I put in my B&M and my motor mounts first and now i'm just waiting to do my tranny mounts. I hope i notice a difference with the tranny mounts because the motor mounts are awesome.
Sunday, April 10, 2005 6:37 PM
Oh, you will definetly will feel a difference. I have, I just wish my engine mounts would get shipped to me already. SO i can do those and start on the suspension bushings.

To help with the rear trans. mount, get a long extension for your ratchet. That way you might not have to move the brake cluster or airbox.
Friday, April 15, 2005 9:05 AM
Do the tranny mounts make the interior of the car noisy? I don't car about vibes, but the noise that the lower engine mount created was insane (IMO), just wondering if the tranny mounts transfer the noise as well.

Friday, April 15, 2005 9:37 AM
nope didnt notice on mine but though I got the upper and lower engine munts for my Eco.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums

Friday, April 15, 2005 10:45 AM
elpaso wrote:nope didnt notice on mine but though I got the upper and lower engine munts for my Eco.

Saturday, April 16, 2005 4:59 AM
Nope no extra noise. I don't have the engine mounts yet. So not sure how it is in conjunction.
Saturday, April 16, 2005 3:10 PM
Good to hear the postitve feedback coming back on the mounts, sounds like a good idea.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search