Tranny swap - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tranny swap
Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:50 AM
Aight i got a 96 2.2 cavy

i wanna swap my buddy's 5 speed 2.2 out and put it in mine...

is this extremely difficult......and how much do u guys think a shop would want for this kinda thing

you scratch my ride IMA EAT YO CHILDREN

Re: Tranny swap
Sunday, April 10, 2005 10:47 PM
if you have mechanical expertise it won't be hard to convert it.to have a shop do it that's exspensive.just make sure you get everything off the other car for the swap.the hardest part is the plumbing for the clutch master.use metal brake lines and bend them urself.i'll be coverting my 96 cav to stick soon.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:22 AM
doublecross wrote:if you have mechanical expertise it won't be hard to convert it.to have a shop do it that's exspensive.just make sure you get everything off the other car for the swap.the hardest part is the plumbing for the clutch master.use metal brake lines and bend them urself.i'll be coverting my 96 cav to stick soon.

why do you need metal brake lines? The clutch uses no brake lines.....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 5:31 AM
I did this from a wreckers sunfire 2.2 into mine...
Beware, check all the seals... I traded one tranny for another...

Here's the best part, the service manual calls for upto 5hrs...
The guy I goto now for all my Tranny issues is in Renfrew Ontario...

He swaps my Sunfires Tranny in 1.5 hrs...
Goes to show.. the Service manual is written to MAKE money and skil helps alot too..

Cheers
DJVan

Project: Sunfire -> RallyFire
We shall see...
Friday, April 15, 2005 12:12 AM
for the hydrolics it's eaiser than swapping the plumbing off the other car without messing them up, and alot cheaper than getting new lines.

Monday, April 18, 2005 8:27 PM
Don't put solid brake lines on your clutch. Use the plastic covered ones that come with your buddies car - they flex and that’s important when your attaching something from a stationary object (your firewall) to one that moves and vibrates (the transfer case that’s attached to your engine).

I just pulled my trans (twice) on my driveway. I have never done a front wheel drive car before, and I don't have a lift or any other specialty tools and did it in close to 18 hours average - by myself. The stuff I was reading said 6-8 hour job. I spent a large part of my time just wrestling the damn thing in and out past the frame. Tip: when you take the trany apart from the engine, slip a wrench up and remove the clutch assem. before dropping the trans out - it will give you a little extra room to play with. I also hung the engine up from various 4X4 timbers, on one brace I hung the engine, on another brace I hung the trans as I dropped/pulled it back in.

If you already have some miles on the car, replace the clutch, clutch spring, and throw out/slave cylinder. Make sure you machine the flywheel too.

The clutch components will cost roughly $350 Can. for a kit plus labour @ $75 Can.*6 hrs= $450 Can. so roughly $800.00 x 1.15 taxes = $920 Can. So count on a even grand after the mechanic adds clutch/trans fluid and anything else he has noticed was wrong or destroyed by his incompetence.

You could also spend approx. 3 weekends swearing at the damn thing and begging your co-workers/significant other for rides while saving $650, which is what I did.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search