B&M Short Throw shifter questions - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
B&M Short Throw shifter questions
Sunday, April 24, 2005 9:16 PM
OK, guys I installed the B&M short throw shifter today, and have a few questions. I tried searching but really didn't find much...

1) I'm having a hard time shifting into 2nd. I just about have to force there. All the other gears are fine... So is the the "O-ring" problem I was reading about, or do I have to adjust the shift cables?

2) Anyone know of an after market shift handle that works with the B&M? I saw WW has a Momo handle, but all the handles I keep seeing around don't look like they will work with the reverse lockout.

BTW, this is for an 04 Sunfire... obviously a 5-speed

Thanks guys

Re: B&M Short Throw shifter questions
Monday, April 25, 2005 11:40 AM
whats up man. for the aftermarket knob, go to pep boys and get the matching knob and boot and you'll be fine for the short throw., thats what i did. as for the o-ring i think i'll having the same problem. i have the short throw in but still have some play. I thinking i will have to replace my shift cables. gm wants 130 for new cables. i'm having a sqeeking noise whenever i shift coming from within the shifter.

you could help me out that would be cool too.

thanks
Monday, April 25, 2005 12:41 PM
Well, i won't shop at Pep Boys... My reserve unit was activated for Iraqi Freedom, and while we were over there, Pep boys laid off 3 people in my Platoon... which legally they can not do... But ever since that happened, I refuse to give pep boys any of my business.

The checker & auto zone stores I have checked don't have a knob that works with the reverse lockout... Haven't checked Napa yet, but I'm not holding my breath there.

As far as the shifter itself, i'm leaning more toward needing to adjust the For & aft cable... joy joy

Monday, April 25, 2005 1:35 PM
try playing around with the fore-aft cable. I had to do that to get mine to feel right. I didn't mark the shift cables when i did mine, coz i wanted to figure out how to get them out before I did. well, when I accidentally figured it out (they came out), it was too late, so I had to mess around with them a little to get them to work right. it's not hard, just takes time.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:45 AM
Before doing anything at all with the cables, pop off the shift boot and look at the shifter as you go through the gears.

If the ball seems to be raising a bit in the socket when you pull it to the left for 1st/2nd, then you've got issues with the o-ring. It was plainly obvious on mine.

Rather than pushing the little peg on the left side downward correctly, the ball was coming upward a bit in the socket so it wouldn't engage 1st properly. Once it was in 1st, I never had any real issues pulling it back to 2nd.

If that's the case, get a flat-head screwdriver and pop off the shifter retainer. Make sure you turn it first to allow the clips to release. Put the o-ring back in place and snap it back on. If you can shift fine now, then that's obviously the problem. Time to go shopping for a slightly thicker o-ring.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:52 AM
WW . ya i just checked it out, everything seems fine/ no movement. It just shifts sorta sticky when the car is cold, once the car warms up it feels fine.

thanks

Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:26 PM
That sounds normal to me.

Shifting feels much nicer when the tranny fluid heats up. Especially if you've got the Saturn stuff GM puts in to solve the rattling problem.

Friday, April 29, 2005 6:17 AM
^ yep, that is what kind of fluid that is in there.

thanks again

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search