has anyone done this? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
has anyone done this?
Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:39 PM
I am a commuter and am on the road 7 days a week to either work or school. WHat I was wondering was has anyone changed out 5th gear to save gas money. Like i know in the faqs that optimal range for gas mileage purposes is around 55mph. Well out on 295 if your not goin atleast 70 youll get passed like your standing still. So what i figured was if i changed out 5th gear to make 65 around 1500 rpms then id be good to go. For drag purposes I'd never need to hit 5th gear so that is what I came up with.
Thanks

And obviously by the way this is written you can tell that I'm not too familiar with trannys. I'm not lookin to get flammed or anything just wondering if this or something like it is possible.

Rich

Re: has anyone done this?
Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:33 PM
It would cost you more money that it would be worth. This would also make 5th gear completly worthless, as these cars don't have enough low-end torque, you would just bog the engine down.

1999 Calvalier Z24
15.7@90.2mPh
Friday, April 29, 2005 12:35 AM
not true
may not b e worth it but you could get a good gear
im at 3k going 78ish
another gear would be nice

Friday, April 29, 2005 3:54 AM
How about the final drive gear ratio? Making that a bit taller would help gas milage, right?

Does it go faster?
Friday, April 29, 2005 7:19 AM
oldskool wrote:How about the final drive gear ratio? Making that a bit taller would help gas milage, right?

It would, but then you'd be killing acceleration in every gear.

Picking your own ratios to suit your personal driving habits would be excellent, but isn't terribly practical. I'm not sure whether such gears are commercially available or if you'd need them machined at great expense.

Try shooting off a letter to Getrag and ask them what's possible.

Friday, April 29, 2005 1:31 PM
Well I wasnt too terribly concerned with acceleration in 5th gear, If I needed to I would just downshift to fourth. If this would be real expensive, what about the cobalt ss tranny, I know thats a six speed. WOuld that be more economical/practicle and give me what I am looking for?

Rich
Friday, April 29, 2005 2:43 PM
cobalt ss is a 5-speed
Friday, April 29, 2005 7:34 PM
well my 2002 five speed feels like its geared pretty short especially in first. i can easily pull out in second. i could stand a taller final drive espcially in the name of cruising fuel economy

Does it go faster?
Saturday, April 30, 2005 11:19 AM
THought it was a six speed . Does anyone know how much different, if at all, that transmission is geared?

Rich
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search