auto tranny problem... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
auto tranny problem...
Saturday, May 07, 2005 3:26 PM
i was on my way home from the beach(like an hour away from home) when some ass pushed my off the road and i hit a huge hole. luckly i didnt hit anything, but when i fell in the hole, the car hit the pavement and i made a little hole in the tranny casing. lost all my oil. it was like 10 at night, and nothing was open. i got some oil at the gas station and some silicon and made it home reeaal slow(the silicon covered most of the hole, it was still leaking but just barely. drop by drop). in the morning i took it tothe mechanic. where i live, cavalier/sunfire pieces are imposible to find, so i couldnt find the cover that had a hole in it. after 3 days, my only option was soldering. so they plugged the hole up and out it back together. now i feel like the car is shifting funny.. like, i have to rev it up real high just to get the car to move. i thought maybe it needed some more oil and it did/ it got somewhat better, but it still doesnt feel like it used to. any idea as to whats wrong with it and how i might fix it?

Re: auto tranny problem...
Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:07 AM
how are you checking the oil?

it should be with the car on and on a flat surface. when you check it with the car off, all the oil pools to the pan. when the car is on the oil is being pumped through the system and the levels are different slightly.

so you may just still be a 1/4 to half quart low of operating range.

also not sure how you applied the silicon, but did you push any into the pan? if so you might have sucked some into the filter?

did they chang the filter with the pan off?

my bet is on rechecking the oil with the car on as level an area as possible though and also running.

Re: auto tranny problem...
Monday, May 09, 2005 7:20 AM
thats the thing, how do i check the oil? if i remove the cap, all i see is a hole. theres no dipstick or nothing, so how would i know?. the silicone didnt go in, i made sure of that. it was all external.

i added another 1/4 of oil and it seemed to have helped, but its not entirely gone. thats 2 1/4's ive added. i'm started to think my mechanic left me dry. maybe it needs more..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search