Difference between 95 and 96 3 Speed Auto? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Difference between 95 and 96 3 Speed Auto?
Sunday, May 08, 2005 12:18 PM
My girls tranny just went out in her 98 Sunfire .. She has the 3t40 and i have a 95 cavi parts car with a 3 speed auto in it ...... I refer to my hollander interchange manual and it says the 98 is compatible from a 96-02 ... What exactly changed between 95 and 96 on the tranny side? ... I know the hollander means its exactly the same between the 2 when GM in all reality may have made one simple change that i may have to swap a 98 part into the 95 tranny to work ... and save myself from having to spend money on another tranny? ... anybody know what the specifics are here??

Thanks in advance!

Re: Difference between 95 and 96 3 Speed Auto?
Sunday, May 08, 2005 6:45 PM
it should be the same. the th125c is basically the 3t40

Monday, May 09, 2005 6:46 AM
Thanks for the info... Im betting you're right but i wasnt sure... Guess i wont be 100% sure until i actually put them side by side....or better yet until i actually see it in the car and moving ... just keeping my fingers crossed because she will be a bit upset if I end up taking the time of dropping both trannys and then cant put it back together immediately because i need to get a different one she'd say i wasted time and should have just bought her a new one ... ... for some reason money is no object to her..maybe because It comes out of MY pocket LOL..
Monday, May 09, 2005 2:15 PM
if its the same transmission, the block for the 2.2L was the same from 95-97 so the tranny should be as well. heck, i even believe i can take mine out of my 99 and then put it in you 95 or 96, or my girlfriends 95. so you should be safe.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 1:23 AM
well i have a 99 tranny in my 96.....i swapped a 99 5 speed into my 96 replacing a 3-speed tranny.....so i'm pretty sure your fine
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 8:56 PM
95 is 3t40
96 and up are 3t40E

The 95 works purely mechanically, except for the convertor clutch
The later E wont work without a PCM to control it.
The 95 would work ( both fit wise and shifting) in your 98, but there would be no way to connect the existing PCM wiring to anything on the trans. Its simply not there. And, the convertor clutch works diferently, too, so it would fail if connected.

Result if installed.... car will drive. Service engine light will be permanently on. Car will sound like its missing a high gear and rev higher at highway speeds. Trans will run hotter. Fuel economy will suffer greatly.

sig not found
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:25 AM
All Th125C/3T40s are the same operationally wise from '89 and later. All 3rd Gen J-Bodies used basically the same electronics, stall speed torque converter and gearing from the factory. There would be no problems doing this conversion.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:12 AM
MadJack wrote:All Th125C/3T40s are the same operationally wise from '89 and later. All 3rd Gen J-Bodies used basically the same electronics, stall speed torque converter and gearing from the factory. There would be no problems doing this conversion.

the gearing isnt all the same. there were a few variations from car to car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search