Automatic transmission slipping from 1st to 2nd - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Automatic transmission slipping from 1st to 2nd
Friday, May 20, 2005 4:57 PM
Hey guys

I just started noticing a slip in my 1-2 shift on my transmission. It's a smooth transition but it definitely was not like that when a month or two ago. Anyways, is this a sign of my tranny on its way out? Also, if I baby it how much more do you think I can get out of it? If I can find a decent parts car, is a 5spd swap feasable or even another auto tranny?

Thanks...please include prices (approx. ) when listing options

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)

Re: Automatic transmission slipping from 1st to 2nd
Friday, May 20, 2005 7:24 PM
Also , I had my tranny flushed at 45,000 miles and I'm at 57,000 right now

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Friday, May 20, 2005 9:21 PM
Mine is doing the same thing, no idea what it is. It shifts nice and firm if I manually shift from 1 to 2, but in drive when i floor it it lags

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, May 20, 2005 10:59 PM
Mine does it real bad, Does it like rev up and kind of hold it there for a second then shift? Thats what mines doing... Figured it was my tranny fluid, but haven't had time to look into it.

Re: Automatic transmission slipping from 1st to 2n
Friday, May 20, 2005 11:21 PM
that seems really odd with that low of miles on it
but if anything i would say its the 2nd clutch prematurely burnt/worn, or the low/reverse band not releasing when it should, or the 1-2 shift solenoid.
hope that helps some

04 sunfire auto, mid 15's n/a, and still going
Saturday, May 21, 2005 6:20 AM
well, what would be the least inexpensive to try first, im assuming the solenoids?

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:30 AM
well this might not cure the problem now, but can help prevent future problems....

if you dont have one already...invest in a tranny temp guage if you run hard. heat is the main killer of auto transmissions. 175-195 is the operating range for every 20 degrees higher you shorten the life of the fluid. especially non synthetic fluid.

before i was getting way into the 217's+ so that right there was cutting fluid in half.

only once did i reach around 227. but usually those without external coolers reach well into the 220's easily.

check this link

http://www.niehoff.com/techtips/trans.html

the hotter the fluid gets the more wear and tear happens to other parts. pjk91, might not be on its way out, but check the fluid color or fluid level. sometimes that can be the problem, and an easy fix

worst comes to worst, and you still feel its a bit laggy, try transmedic from any autoparts stores.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:50 AM
Mine usually sits at like 190, are you saying to just swap the tranny fluid first to see if that solves any problems?

Sunday, May 22, 2005 12:58 PM
gotta love my shift plus

Monday, May 23, 2005 4:45 AM
Steve W wrote:Mine usually sits at like 190, are you saying to just swap the tranny fluid first to see if that solves any problems?

do you have a transmission temp guage? tranny temp should fluctuate a bit when driving, and stop and go, especially since it works off of pressure.

first i would check the level. next i would change the fluid and the filter. filter may be clogged, but to change the filter you have to change the fluid.

after that i would look into the transmedic.

shift plus is good as well, but if there is a start of a problem, it would be better to diagnose the prob and fix it. turning the pressure up will firm up the shift, no doubt, but lets say a clutch plate is goin out. you'll shift good for a bit, then the wear will catch up..... if there is a problem already.

Monday, May 23, 2005 9:50 AM
Event, How much Transmedic do we need to buy, I saw it was like $5 for a 15oz bottle, but not sure how much we need. Sorry if thats a dumb question.

Monday, May 23, 2005 7:10 PM
if you need bottles.... something is really wrong. my old transmission one should be enough. siphon some out, add some in type thing if i remember correct.

Monday, May 23, 2005 9:34 PM
Alright, Gotcha. Mine doesn't slip that bad, and its only if you put the pedal pretty close to the floor if no to the floor

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:45 PM
Mine did this. hell sometimes id put it in drive try to go and it would slip in 1st. i did a trans service (filter and fluid change) NOT FLUSH!!! then i installed a $30 trans cooler. that solved that problem for the most part. i added a b&m shift plus and havent had a single problem since and my trans has over 200k on it!

99 Turbo Sunfire GT | Ram 2500 | International Rollback | Mr Hanky the Suburban
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search