2002 Cavalier LS Sport - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2002 Cavalier LS Sport
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:33 PM
are the 5spd transmissions stronger on the 2002 Cavalier LS Sport with the ecotec motor than the Z24's with the Isuzu transmission. and how much stronger in your opinion if they are.

My transmission just went out for the second time in my 98' Z24 5spd, so i am thinking of selling it and try to get a 2002 LS Sport (ecotec 5spd). just wondering if i would have the same transmission problems with it as i do with my 98'

Re: 2002 Cavalier LS Sport
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:56 PM
If you want a 2002 LS Sport in Yellow with an auto trans and torque converter let me know what price range you are looking for. Has sunroof, good tires, good working condition. I am looking to sell mine and get a Cobalt SS. Let me know. There is a pic online....

HERE

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:31 AM
the getrag is a better transmission then the Isuzu....the only major problem ive herd is there was some kind of annoying noise problem alot of them were having, not shure exactly on the details

but you should take the chance to upgrade anyway, i think you will enjoy the ecotec alot more, its smoother and quieter, responds to mods well, tend to be more reliable.... but doenst quite have the low end grunt the 2.4 has....overall i think its a better engine (and ive driven both, not just making it up)

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:39 PM
My friend is a mechanic and has driven the Cavalier's with the GetTrag (sp?) trans, and the Isuzu trans. He said there isn't even a competition. The GetTrag (sp?) is a lot more reliable, has more speed to it, and will last a lot longer in the long run.
Friday, May 27, 2005 2:12 AM
Id stick with the 2.4, and swap a 00-02 Getrag into it......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:17 AM
swap in a new venture... they are a beast of a trans..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, May 27, 2005 12:20 PM
if you want a quiet engine that has better top end than low end get the ecotec. If you want something with alot of low down grunt and sounds pretty mean, get the LD9. Personally i like the LD9, nothing beats good old cast iron with low end torque.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Friday, May 27, 2005 1:53 PM
^^ u got that right... gotta love the 2.4

www.OverloadCars.net
Friday, May 27, 2005 2:09 PM
Yea, but the quality of manufacture is better in the Ecotec because it is all alum. This way you can't have a sleved motor from the factory or the problem of a head and block expanding at different rates leading to gasket failure.

Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:30 AM
^^thats what i was taklin about in my post when i said the eco is more reliable

but you 2.4 guys are right, that engine has alot of low end power, i do love it

Saturday, May 28, 2005 4:34 PM
I also think the quality control is better now because GM is actively trying to get a better image. I saw this on GM TV that they want a better image to attract more customers since many have moved to "non-domestics" and sales are slow. Besides, they are using new casting techniques!

As long as you run GM in my book, you are alright...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search