3 speed auto, finally done and finally installed. - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.
Re: 3 speed auto, finally done and finally installed.
Sunday, November 23, 2003 10:50 PM
hmmm looks pretty familair minus the transbrake and an extra gear though <br>

Member of Team Solo

Monday, November 24, 2003 11:11 AM
my 95 cav 2.2L 3a manages 32mph with its 3sp transmission. And with 32mpg I am very happy for a 137K mile car. <br>

I don't need a damn sig.
Wednesday, November 26, 2003 5:07 PM
did thay change the valvebody or did thay drill the holes bigger ? im going to have my trans reworked before i turbo it. so all the info i can get would be appreciated thanks
Thursday, November 27, 2003 9:39 PM
chris, thats what a valve body job is, redrilling the openings to match the new plate.

Quote:

Re: 3 speed auto, finally done and finally installed. Quote Reply

Author: LittleBill
Date: 11-23-03 05:52 PM

wow thats a high rev, i was on the highway today playing around with my tie bar, i can do 89-91 at 3050 rpms with the 4 speed, man ur fuel economy can't be that good

how ya figure? in stock tranny form, i would coast at 70 mph at 3000rpm. now i basically just do 3100-3200 at 70mph. fuel economy is virtually the same...

tach is a nordskog digital and runs off the msd, so its accurate.

<br>

Friday, June 11, 2004 12:55 AM
Ive got a 97 cavy with the 3 speed so im assuming that its the 3t40. So in order to get the pg lsd i have to call them to get one or can i order the kit that they got for the 96 3 speed. I read everything and i just didnt get a lot of it. Im learning though. I think you guys were say that i can just go to a tranny shop and get my 3 speed rebuilt to handle the extra power for about 1400. Im really interested in the j-body org cause theres so many out there that stand out and can be proud.
Sunday, June 13, 2004 1:21 AM
basically i sent mine in, for the machine work to be done, when the shaft is installed there is a large c-clip that will have to clear the PG. when i first recieved it back, it wasnt installed, but then t i sent it back and they machined it to fit without grief and install it. <br>

Sunday, June 13, 2004 1:25 AM
ok?
Sunday, June 13, 2004 1:27 AM
whats confusing? let me know, see if i can better explain it...

if you have a shop manual, i can give you the page so you can see the exact part... <br>

Sunday, June 13, 2004 1:29 AM
im not sure exactly about any of it lol I will figure it out. Im assuming u sent in your diff to pg and they machined it.
Sunday, June 13, 2004 12:22 PM
yup, the shop removed it and i sent it in, PG sent it back with the pics seen in the pics of the diff. but they didnt machine the PG piece yet so the shaft that goes in the tranny would fit with its clip... sent it back and they reassembled it all including the shaft in the diff with the clip. <br>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004 6:44 PM
Where did you get the redline clutches from. I have a 3-speed and interested in doing this. thanx in advance

<br>

Wednesday, June 23, 2004 4:04 PM
got them through the shop, chesepake transmission... most local shops will be able to get em for ya... check out almost any shop... or do as i did and call up the local speed shop... not like a import shop, but find the local track, find where all the hot rod people go, then ask who does most the local race transmissions...

they will more than likely have an account and also have discounted and whole sale stuff. <br>

Wednesday, June 23, 2004 10:36 PM
Got it thanx again
<br>

Friday, July 09, 2004 8:03 PM
hey how's the tranny working out for you? was just wondering since it's been in for awhile wanted to see if the new had worn off yet lol.

Pace
Saturday, July 10, 2004 4:15 PM
still going strong.... i threw a small part july 2nd cause it was its 1 year old B-day...

just playin

but all is cool up to date. besides an outer CV joint completely blowing up on the driver side, which isnt really related to the tranny, other than that....

switched over to redline synthetic ATF...d-4 i believe, changed the filter (just out of prefernce) thats been the only change to it. <br>

Saturday, July 10, 2004 4:16 PM
also includes 17,000 miles for this year as well. <br>

Saturday, July 10, 2004 8:07 PM
cool deal I'm thinking bout dropping a built up HO in my Olds and I got the 3spd you think with the mods you did it can handle a good amount of HP and torque? most of the people at the quad4forums say it can't to just do the five spd swap lol but I like being original and my wife can't drive a stick.

Pace
Monday, July 12, 2004 10:14 PM
most 3 speeds typically can handle more power than 4 and 5 speed counterparts. less moving parts is less for something to go wrong.

as long as you keep the tranny temp down, def get a guage to monitor it and a good tranny fluid cooler, you should be fine...

heat is the biggest killer of auto trannies cause they use pressure to shift, so it can heat up quick....

as long as you keep the heat down you should be fine. <br>

Forum Archive
This thread has been archived. Posts that have been archived can not be replied to.

Start New Topic Advanced Search