ratchet shifter on manual? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ratchet shifter on manual?
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:28 PM
it's all in the title... is this conversion possible? from what I've heard, ratchet shifters are only useful on drag-racing automatic transmissions with only manual shifting capability. Obviously there would be issues with the shift cables (automatic is totally different than manual), but could it be done?

Re: ratchet shifter on manual?
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:34 PM
well, you've set yourself correct - ratchet shifters can only be used on automatics. the automatics don't need to have a manual valve body, but they certainly make shifting easier if you do have one. the only way to get a ratcheting-type shift with a manual transmission would be to have a sequential gearbox, like on a motorcycle.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:52 PM
well.... not the only way, you could have a computer control some actuators that actually do the shifting. I'm pretty sure subaru uses a standard type gearbox with sequential shifting on their rally cars. Then they also have the option to skip any gear, like go from 5 to r with the push of a button when they crash. It saves the time of having to go through all the gears to get to reverse.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:24 PM
I actually have rough sketches of a rachet shifting manual shifter setup, its rough but its in my head for a later date, ideally it would shift exactly like a sequintial box, pull back do go up a gear, push forward to drop a gear, you cant skip around but you can go thru the gears, my only issue is where to make reverse fall in, all the way down or all the way up?

J~
Thursday, June 02, 2005 8:32 PM
all the way down. Because you are most likely going to go from backing up to strating off forward and from stopped to reverse. You aren't gonna need to go from 4 or 5 to r very often, unless you plan on crashing at high speeds a lot.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search