Changing ATF - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Changing ATF
Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:24 PM
I want to get the ATF in my tranny changed. I have heard that sometimes after changing the fluid the tranny starts to go. I talked to a buddy of mine that used to work at a lube place. He said that sometimes on older cars it happenes. I have 172 000km on my car. There is noe way to just check the fluid as it's a sealed unit. I drive '95 Sunfire GT.

Re: Changing ATF
Monday, June 06, 2005 4:08 AM
Just did it. U have to take all the bolts off the trans pans from underneath ur car the pan that looks like louisiana so any ways unbolt all those bolts let the fluid leak out.oh yeah remember dont bend the pan dont mess up the gasket it is reusable oh yeah the reason u have to take off the pan to drain it is cause there is no drain plug so do all that oh yeah it will probally be a big mess so dont use no little bowl ur gonna leak a lot of fluid this is no oil change and do all that bolt the pan back on evenly so u gotta go kris cross when putting it on make sure its tight.not to tight were the gasket is popping out from the sidesafter u do all that make sure ur car is jacked up from both sides after that pour like 3 quarts in and after that look under ur car to make sure there is no leaking form the gasket if there is just tighten it a little more and after that there is a plug on the drivers side of the pan its like right by the oil plug look for ir take a flash light and look for it ull see it un screw it its a small plug so unscrew it all the way get back turn on ur car and start putting more fluid in untill fluid is leaking from that plug so it would be a good i dea if someone was watching it as u pour in the fluid so when it starts leaking turn off ur car put that plug back in and ur set

Re: Changing ATF
Monday, June 06, 2005 1:16 PM
I got a kit from O'Reily's that included the gasket and filter. I would advise getting those if you have some miles on your car. Filter is easy to do if you are going to change the fluid anyways.

Start New Topic Advanced Search