ARGH!!! Tranny blew up in BFE... Need quick help. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ARGH!!! Tranny blew up in BFE... Need quick help.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:59 PM
Lets Start off with I have a 95 Sunfire with a 2.3 quad 4, and a 5 speed.

Ok, So im in a rondevues with an unknown AOL girl. Yeah, i know that should be forbidin... Hey, i was bored and figured the hour drive was worth it just to get away from home.... Wrong.

A couple days before this, i heard my 2nd gear whine a little. Not much, but i just heard it.

So, Im followin these directions to her house, and i started to notice 5th gear poppin out. I was like WTF. Oh well, Its not a honda (im a honder fan)

I get about 100 miles away from home (yeah, i was THAT bored) and all of a sudden the damn thing locked up doin 20 in 2nd gear.

There was no neutral, and it was making the worst sound ive ever heard a tranny make.

I managed to park it at the convienent store i broke down infront of, and hitched a ride with some hillbillys. Yeah, i was in the country, and was lucky do break down infront of the only store within 30 miles.

So i get to her house, and the Typical AOL horror story. She reminded me like Little Nicky.

Not only is my car broke, and im stranded, but i got Little Nickys sister tryin to rape me. lol. What a day.

I get a ride to my car the next day to tow my car back to her house, and the thing starts right up. I put it in 1st, and it jumps hard, then it drives just fine, but with a bit of a whine.
Whenever i start slowing down, i feel it binding, and it wants to lock up again. So i keep the foot on the gas, and maintain 50-60 the way back to her house.

Upon getting it back to her house, i realize the cap where you put the fluid in it is gone, so i figure id put some oil in there for the hell of it. I take it down the street, and i got a huge cloud of white buning oil behind me.

Great.

I get back to her house and check it, and oil is just pouring out of the tranny. I cracked the case.

RECAP...
1) Dont Go to an AOL girls house if you dont 100% know the whole story behind it
2) The tranny started popping out of gear
3) No fluid in tranny
4) Cracked Case
5) Car randomly jumps, and sounds like its skippin gears. It shifts just fine, and drives just fine, unless you slow down
6) It burns oil off fast.
7) 2.3 Quad 4, 5 speed.

Now, I managed to get a ride home 2 days later, and my car is still stranded. I have to go see the girl again (avoid rape) and pick up my car.

Ok, Now to the real questions, What is likely to have broken? Is it just the case, and thats letting it flex to the point its jumping gears?
Whats the difference Between the 2.2 and the 2.3 Trannys? What can i use between the two? Is there anything that i can swap, or am i stuck with the 2.3 tranny (750 used, the only one in the state)
I can track down the 2.2 trannys alot easier and cheaper. I just dont know why they are not cross refrencing with the 2.3 trannys, maybe because they are diffrent make, or because they will not bolt up.
Can i use a 2.2 tranny?
Any suggestions?
I know how to rebuild a manual transmission, ive done em in my civic and my trans am, but both of those are cheap and easy to come by.
This car is giving me hell. Honestly, i dont think im gona buy another GM unless its a TA. I can get honda trannys all day long for 50-100. Hell, i got 2 spares laying around for custom gearing.

Sorry about the long post, i tried to make it interesting, but i needed to vent. I missed the whole holiday weekend stuck with shovel face, in the booneys.

Re: ARGH!!! Tranny blew up in BFE... Need quick he
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:06 PM
you know you fooled around with her so dont even play it off like you didnt

Re: ARGH!!! Tranny blew up in BFE... Need quick help.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:08 PM
no, sorry. she had a gut bigger than me, and i top the scales around 280. If she was cute, i wouldnt have minded so much. Hillbillys all the way.

Anyway, any help on this tranny situation?
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:19 PM
Also, can i use the tranny out of a 2.3 grand am or gtz or whatever had a 2.3 in it? Thanks.
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:23 PM
as long as the engine is the same...id assume that the tranny would work for it... i dont see why it wouldnt

btw you should have gotten pictures of her before you met her lol

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:56 PM
hey pictures dont always work, i used to have fun meeting random people and making road trips out of them, one night i decided to go hang out with a girl i met on alt.com..i checked it out 3 and a half hour drive, i live in osage beach and drove down past branson for anyone that knows the area, hollister actually, so i get all the way down there around 2 in the morning, find her road and pull up and its a hillbilly lookin trailer with like 50 cats and small animals running around, crazy stuff, the girl had a mustache and smelled like cat urine, so she bought me dinner at a local dennys and was nice enough to hang out with but i wasnt touchin that with a 10 foot pole, so i left about an hour later lol, drove 3 and a half hours, hung out for around 2 hours most of that was waiting for food at dennys and drove home, was kinda fun lol.....just beware, her pictures looked ALOT better, ya they were her, but the lighting was alot better in the pictures than real lighting could ever be.

J~
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:38 AM
LOL, I knew this would happen.

Yeah, pics dont always work, just like my tranny. Its not working now either. Thats what i need help with. I already got my ass out of there, so im in the clear for now.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:37 PM
the only 2.3 trannies that will be a direct swap will be from 95s. however the 2.4 cav and fire, used the same tranny until 99. 95-99 z24 or fire gt are all the same. 2000+ are different. the 2.2 trannies are internally swappable but use different gear ratios and a different fdr. the 2.2s have a different bell housing so they dont just bolt up.

Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:18 PM
So your saying i can use a 2.4 tranny? Also, the rear housing cracked, not the bell housing. Can i just use the internals and the rear section of the tranny case from a 2.2, and still use my 2.3 bell housing? That would be slick if i could. Thanks.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:30 PM
Or can i just bolt the 2.3 bellhousing onto a 2.2 tranny? That would rock.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:01 PM
the older 1's are a swap over also , you have to use the 92--up , and it has to have the internal slave clutch

changeforabutton(nick) did the swap into his cav and posted about it , search this fourm for more info , might have to search the arcives also

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:20 PM
Ok, So a Quick Yes or No awnser needed...
Can i bolt a 2.3 bellhousing on a 2.2 tranny, if both are from a 95 sunfire?
I found a tranny local for 200, but its a 2.2. The 2.3 tranny is 750. Nice.

Also, whats the diffrences with the gear ratios? The 2.2 have a larger or smaller FDR? Thanks.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:46 PM
the 2.3 should have a 3:94 final drive , and the 2.2 is a 3:55

if both trans missions are the isuzu then swaping wouldbe be very hard , but its alot of work

the belhousing is part of the case for the trans

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:52 PM
should or should not be very hard?

I figured the bellhousing would be part of the tranny, but as long as the 2.3 bell housing bolts to the 2.2 gear box, im ok from there.
Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:17 PM
there is alot of internal parts that you have to deal with

but the 2.3 is already broke so try it first

Saturday, June 11, 2005 10:44 AM
What year did the quad 4 motors start getting paired with the hydraluic internal slave cyl, and can someone run me down a list of cars from witch i can use thier trannys?

I dont care about performance, im just trying to make it roll again.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search