No 1st or 2nd gear in 95 2.2 manual - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No 1st or 2nd gear in 95 2.2 manual
Monday, June 13, 2005 2:04 AM
I tried looking it up and seeing if any one else had the same problem but couldnt find anything,

when i try to go into 1st gear it goes into 3rd, the shifter is in the same spot spot first is in but its in 3rd gear, and 4th gear is where second gear normally is.
Its like the whole shifter moved to the left. I got pissed at it and forced it all to the right real hard and i got a loud pop out of the whole thing. then 4th was where it is supposed to be and so was fifth and reverse, but when i tried putting it into first it made a loud pop movind it all back the left.

Any input or things to look at would be great,,,

thanks in advance

if you need more details on what its doing let me know.

its all about power to weight

http://www.geocities.com/crzycavy/crzycavy.html?1049178886320

SUPPORT THE U.S. ECONOMY BUY DOMESTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: No 1st or 2nd gear in 95 2.2 manual
Monday, June 13, 2005 6:37 AM
um...not like ive had that problem but uhhh...either your linkage is falling apart or your cables are messed up...personally i think its your linkage, im not too familiar with tranny internal parts but i dont think i would drive it like that

THE GUY SURE LOOKS LIKE PLANT FOOD TO ME!!!

Monday, June 13, 2005 10:09 AM
Have any trans work done lately? The cables may have been switched around, or the linkage is just...gone?
Monday, June 13, 2005 12:17 PM
No tranny work has been done for the last 40k miles,

I took off the shifter boot and the counclis around it, not the whole council, looks like some mettal shaving around the white plasict mount for the shifter...

still baffled by whats going on, and it feels like the problem is comming from there.
If i am gentle with it i can get it to go into first and second, but it wont go under regular conditions, im gona have to look down in deeper.

Any other ideas what could be wrong.

Monday, June 13, 2005 3:39 PM
Hey guys i found the problem, just need to know the part name and where to get it. I went down to chevy and i guess its a special ordered part, so I have no idea when its going to get here and if it does.

The shifter shaft which connects to the shift linkage, has grinded off on one side, making it impossible for for the pinto pull it up.

The contact point has slowly grounded down and casuses all the gears to get messed up.

Oh well just have to replace the part.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search