gear 3 feels like a brick wall. PLEASE READ - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gear 3 feels like a brick wall. PLEASE READ
Monday, June 20, 2005 6:39 PM
I have a problem with my transmission on my 96 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.4L 5spd with the isuzu.

To give you a little backround, the tranny was rebuilt 2 months ago with a Spec stage 1 clutch. Before and after the rebuild, the transmission wasnt going into gears as smoothly as it should( it didnt grind or anything, but especially when i shifted into upper gears, 1, 3, 5 it just didnt feel right

. Another thing i noticed today, which im actually concerned about, is this. Picture this... the car idling, its in neutral... I push the clutch and try to switch into THIRD; and it feels like its hitting a brick wall, I figured that I have to put the car into a diffrent gear and, then switch to third in order for it to go in smoothly.

Now this is not noticecable when driving, unless im on the hwy put the car in neutral engage the clutch, and release it, and try to shift to third, and it feels like its hitting a brick wall.

Does anyone know whats causing this, im thinking its shifter cables, for the fact that i have to shift into a diffrent gear before going into third. and because it dosnt feel right for upper gears..

THIS only happens for third gear. any input is appreciated. and remember the synchros are not grinding.

anyhelp is appreciated. I would also appreciate, if you guys can try this on your cars, start the car up, push the cluch and release it, and try to switch into third, while your foot is on the clutch of course.

There are SOME thing's that women can satisfy...for everything else theres BOOST!

Re: gear 3 feels like a brick wall. PLEASE READ
Monday, June 20, 2005 6:57 PM
When you say "hitting a brick wall", do you mean the car jerks badly and slows down massively? Or do you mean it damn near stops?

My car will do that when I go to shift into 5th sometimes, and the gear doesn't get over all the way and goes into 3rd, and its make a loud "THUD", and the RPM's will launch and it feel like I got hit from behind. Maybe there is a cable crossed or pullin too hard and it is dropping it into 1st or 2nd when you go into 3rd? Just an idea?
Monday, June 20, 2005 10:04 PM
no i mean from the inside, whenever i shift into third, the gear shifter fels lik its just htting a wall, it cant get into third. is what im saying. im actually the owner of the car. markeco is my bro.

Monday, June 20, 2005 10:04 PM
my tranny went out and did the same thing and my sencro (spelling) was bad in third so i got a new tranny. except mine wouldnt even go into gear at all! even though it was rebuilt, it doesnt mean they rep;laced everything. they may have only replaced certian parts or when they put it together, forgot to tighten something or put a pin in something. that would be my guess.
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:33 PM
My third gear used to always pop out when I would try to shift into it if I was driving hard. Sometimes it wouldnt even go into gear until the shift cable broke and I got it replaced and its fine. I would suggest getting a new shift cable then if it doesn't get better look into transmission. Buying a shift cable now instead of tranny may save a lot of money.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search