how screwed am i?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how screwed am i??
Monday, June 27, 2005 11:48 AM
I have a 97 2.2L Cavalier. It is an automatic. I had been having some trouble with transmission fluid. It would get filled up everytime I get my oil changed but about a month later I would need some more. So my friend said it was a leak and he used this stuff called GUNK its like a sealer in case I had a leak. He didnt check the level or anything... I dont think he really knew what he was doing. NE Ways now my car like skips second gear. If I put it in D2 its like putting it in neutral. Did I rip 2nd out somehow?? Is that even possible?? I know very little about cars. Oh yea If you think you know what it is will it be really expensive. Any info would be great! Thanks!
Ryan

Re: how screwed am i??
Monday, June 27, 2005 6:36 PM
You probably have the 3T40/TH125C 3 spd auto with that car. On these trannys the 2nd gear is operated off a clutch band which is enabled by a servo located above the filter in the pan. The servo is controled by a spring operated valve in the valve body, which is located behind the pan on the drivers side of the tranny.

Many of the leak sealers use solids which when heated by the tranny fluid turn to a gel. These sealers then return to solid form when exposed to air and are cooled. They are temporary fixes to permanent problems, just to be used till you can fix the real problem.

If this resolidification occured in the valve or the servo, the only option is to clean these parts. The servo and especially the valve are very sensitive to any kind of debris. In fact the valve itself can be stopped by a piece of lint from a cleaning cloth. There are a few additives(I've had good succes with Lucas) that could unstick the valve or servo, but they may not also. Just give one a try. If that works, let that stay in for a few hundred mile then change the fluid and filter, to make sure it doesn't happen again. If that doesn't fix it then it's time to go to the tranny shop for a rebuild or replacement.

Keep in mind the valve or servo may have been stuck with the band engaged, in which case the band is probably toast(smell the tranny fluid, does it smell burt or look brown?). If thats the case then you have no choice but to rebuild or replace the tranny.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search