What the pluck? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What the pluck?
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 1:55 AM
I think the tranny is truly kaput. The car is parked and when you put it into reverse there is a disgusting grinding noise, the car doesn't move, and the front drivers side wheel moves back and fourth (shifting straight forward and back about an inch each way, 2 inch travel in total). Should I also start a quest for a new 2.4 manual tranny? O, the problem started from a bad spring install that caused a rubbing/popping noise from the same tire and I am quite sure flogging the car didn't help any. No real mods other than intake, exhaust, springs, shocks, and rims. It's a 96 2.4L. Wadaya think?

Building other peoples cars with other peoples money is fun!

Re: What the pluck?
Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:46 PM
kinda sounds to me like you blew a CV joint. turn the wheels all the way to one side, put it in reverse and have someone watch the joint. if it flops all over th place its bad. maybe i'm wrong but thats where i would look first.

nathan
Re: What the pluck?
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:42 AM
Thanks a lot, I'll have to check it out. I'm not a FWD guy so if it seems bad with a tranny I assume it to be shot usually. Another question about the tranny kinda, has anyone had the plate that the shifter mounts to crack? There's a crack like 3 inches long and the shifter has stupid amounts of play because of it. Think I'll have to weld it back up.

Building other peoples cars with other peoples money is fun!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search