I put it in REVERSE and go FORWARD? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I put it in REVERSE and go FORWARD?
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:41 PM
I got my cavy a coupe weeks ago and have a small problem with the transmission. It is a 2002 LS Coupe if that helps.

Anyways, about half the time I try to put it in reverse and let out the clutch, I start to move forward! What the freaken @#$% is that about? So I push in the clutch, throw it in first, engage the clutch a little, push clutch in, then try reverse again…that sometimes helps (keyword: sometimes). Today, I sat in Wal-mart’s parking lot for a good five minutes trying to get my car to reverse…then when I finally get it engaged, some dip-@!#$ minivan decided to go behind me so I had to stop and fiddle with reverse again.

I have however noticed that when I’m on flat terrain or facing down hill, I have more problems with it engaging.

Anyone every have this problem?

Right now, I refuse to park facing a car because after three attempts of try to engage reverse but instead going forward, I’m about ready to hit the car I’m facing.

Re: I put it in REVERSE and go FORWARD?
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 8:52 PM
Well you are in a stick, technically you don't have a "park", and when your in neutral, or the clutch is down, you are still in neutral. If you are on a small angle, slope, etc, your car will just go with it. Everyday when I go to back out of my drive way and I throw it in reverse and let off the clutch a tad, my car will start to idle forward a tad until I put some gas into it. Its just the way stick works. You gotta get quick with it.
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:29 PM
Quick tip: Put reverse and start your engine... hope that helps. And check the transmission components asap... don't wait to have them all broken.
Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:02 AM
No, no...I'm not drifting (like in neutral); when I engage the clutch, it actually pulls me forward...like I'm in first gear or something. I could drive around going forward all the while being in reverse
Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:30 AM
o_O

Check your shift cable?
Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:56 AM
Sounds like your linkage is bent

http://www.ohiocichlids.com <<<<If you keep cichlids
Thursday, June 23, 2005 10:51 AM
are you lifting the reverse lock out on the shifter ??

since you just got it that is why im asking , there is a colar just below the know you pull up on

Thursday, June 23, 2005 3:19 PM
AHHHHHHH!!!

That is what the dealer said when I called him. This was only after I told him that I have already put 2000 miles on the car. It never registered in his head that at some point during those 2000 miles, I would have utilized the reverse gear.

I pull the collar up and all but drop-kick the stick into reverse and still it doesn’t work…sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. I think I’m going to take it into the dealer.
Thursday, June 23, 2005 3:37 PM
yeah if you pull up on the collar , and you still have a problem with it going in , there might be another problem else where

also watch the driver floor matt , it will silde up and catch the clutch pedal , and cause you alot of grief , LOL

Thursday, June 23, 2005 7:41 PM
check the shift cables

Don't steal, the government doesn't like competition
Saturday, June 25, 2005 10:57 AM
It's the shift cables....Check the connections.. Happen to me when we did the motorswap, had a 6 speed with no reverse.

Josh
SLK 32

Sunday, June 26, 2005 8:31 AM
I don't wanna thread jack, but you pull up for reverse now, not push in ?

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:32 AM
I say shift linkage too. Sounds like your linkage dosnt have enough play in it to get over to reverse and your droping it in 4th.

- 97 Z24 Racecar work in progress
- 04 WRX STi
ATR Crew Member
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search